Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Dodge durango 4.7 magnum motor, My question is i am planning on using mobile 1 synthetic motor oil on next oil change to see if i can improve on gas milage.......Does anyone have any feedback reguarding this oil? Is this a good idea or is thair a hidden danger i should know about....Thanks By the way it has 34,000 miles on it.....

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
it's great oil. However you do stand a chance of finding leaks that maybe clogged with convention oil. I took the chance and don't regret the swap. Also realize the oil change price will go up $$$$ :rant: don't forget your Mobil 1 filter :biggthump

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
To change my oil with Mobil 1 Oil and filter it runs me about 40 a whack. Well worth the little extra every 3 months to prollong the lif eof the motor and save on gas!

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
coltsfan said:
I have a 2002 Dodge durango 4.7 magnum motor, My question is i am planning on using mobile 1 synthetic motor oil on next oil change to see if i can improve on gas milage.......Does anyone have any feedback reguarding this oil? Is this a good idea or is thair a hidden danger i should know about....Thanks By the way it has 34,000 miles on it.....
I run Mobil 1 10w-30 on my truck and I felt a big difference when I did. I didn't switch to synthetic till about 85,000 miles and haven't gone back since. I recommend it to anyone.

Goon's you're paying a little more than I do. Go to Wal-mart, they have Mobil 1 in 5 quart jugs for about $20........then Autozone has Mobil one filters or K&N Gold Series oil filters for $10-13.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
A case of six quarts is 29.99 at Autozone near me. My D takes all 6 and the filter is 9.99 at AZ too. Unfortunately the closest Wal mart is 25 minutes away, autozone is 5. I would spend the extra money going to walmart on gas!

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
GOON'S D said:
A case of six quarts is 29.99 at Autozone near me. My D takes all 6 and the filter is 9.99 at AZ too. Unfortunately the closest Wal mart is 25 minutes away, autozone is 5. I would spend the extra money going to walmart on gas!
True true.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How about the k&n air filter? Is that recomended to save on gas??

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
I say stay with the regular oil, I am a fleetmanager and an ASE tech and we have not seen an up side to running synthetic, and like was said before sometimes when you switch it will spring a leak.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
MiniMotoRider said:
I say stay with the regular oil, I am a fleetmanager and an ASE tech and we have not seen an up side to running synthetic, and like was said before sometimes when you switch it will spring a leak.
I don't agree!

Here's why.

Regular oil will break down MUCH faster than a synthetic oil. Thats the reason that they suggest you change your oil every 3000 miles. You being a fleet manager should recognize that you can get 5 to 7 thousand miles out of a sythetic oil change. This will considerably lower your costs. Just make sure you change the oil filter halfway through. No one has yet to beef up the logevity of a oil filter that I know about.

Paul

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
And for my own reply.....

Mobil 1 synthetic is what I have run for about two years now. I have also run a K&N oil filter.

The way I see it....

K&N has lots of engineers that are paid larger amounts of money to design great performing products. They have practically revolutionized the air intake world, and I see them cracking the oil filtering method the first.

Mobil 1 is a great oil... like I said,... I've been using it for 2 years now. I am currently switching to an Amsoil product. I want to see if there is any difference. I am also going to change my tranny/diff fluids with Amsoil. There are a few things I like about Amsoil. Everytime I hear about it. I always get lots of proof and documentation on why it's better than a different product. I have yet to see anything with great detail from Mobil one or Castrol.

It seems to me like this Royal Purple stuff is the sister oil to Amsoil. It just seems too ricer to me...I mean... who wants something purple on/in their TRUCKS?

Paul

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Well that is one reason not to use Royal purple, I guess! I am very impressed with all the documentation that Amsoil and Royal purple produce as evidence that there oil kicks ass. I am planning on changing out the fluids in the tranny and diff this spring. How often do you have to change out the front diff in a 4x4. I rarely use it though. I would imagine it would be a good idea to change it out though.

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
YAAAABUDDY03 said:
I don't agree!

Here's why.

Regular oil will break down MUCH faster than a synthetic oil. Thats the reason that they suggest you change your oil every 3000 miles. You being a fleet manager should recognize that you can get 5 to 7 thousand miles out of a sythetic oil change. This will considerably lower your costs. Just make sure you change the oil filter halfway through. No one has yet to beef up the logevity of a oil filter that I know about.

Paul
I look at it this way, I have trucks all over the country so we do not do our own work, try haveing Jiffy lube just do the oil filter, plus if my drivers have to go every 3k to get the filter changed, whats the point? they are still loosing time, and time is money. I just think that reg oil is the way to go. I had a Focus ZX3 and it called for a blend oil and I would run that 1. becasue it was only 40 cents more that reg oil, and 2.the car called for it. I say do what you want, it's your engine and money, but for me reg oil is just fine.

·
Registered
504 Posts
MiniMotoRider said:

I have used synthetic oils for many years in my cars and trucks. Even before it was regularly available to the general public I was using the Sun Oil synthetic industrial oil in my 1970 Roadrunner.

I have never had an engine failure due to lubrication using synthetic oils. As far as gas mileage goes I see an increase in mileage for the first three tanks of gas after changing the oil and filter then it reverts back to normal. I would say that it’s a wash when it comes to justifying the extra cost of the oil based on increased gas mileage.

The benefit is increased engine life and the ability to go longer between oil changes. I guess if you add it up there is a slight savings when using the synthetics.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mobil-1 From the beginning.

I went 1000 miles on the oil the 99 durango came with and then I changed to Mobil-1. I have been using it ever since. My gas mileage did go up. I was getting about 15.5 mpg highway only. Now I can get a little better than 17 mpg highway only.

I buy it at Walmart. The price went up about two years ago. It's a wash for me because I change the oil every 5k miles instead of 3k. A friend of mine turned me on to Wiks filters. I won't use Fram anymore. They cheaped out on them now.

I did hear that if you have been using regular oil for a long time, say greater than 50k miles, a change to synthetic can cause leaks. The synthetic oil can clean out sludge that might have been clogging leak holes in gaskets.

·
Registered
509 Posts
coltsfan said:

coltsfan,

I've used Mobil 1 oil since past my first breaking in period with the original oil in the crankcase. Since then I haven't noticed any difference in mileage at least then I can see. Currently I'm still use it just for peace of mind. My motors been great. With about 43,000 miles on it no oil leaks yet so one less headache to worry about. I'm just stuck on this engine check light that came on about 5 days ago and went away Sunday after getting it washed. Anyway it can't hurt you to use the oil.

rimfire,22

·
Registered
99 Posts
I changed to Amsoil about 8 months ago and no leaks as of yet,I had a slight tap on cold mornings but it`s gone since the swich. One thing though, How do you change the oil filter without getting a mess? There is just a small access hole and the oil getts all over the cross member.
Roger :wave:

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
I have the same problem. I am debating the idea of making that entire plastic panel "removable".

1 - 20 of 24 Posts