Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard all the rave about Royal Purple engine oil so a few months back I bought a few quarts and thought I'd give it a try albeit it was the most expensive engine at Pep Boys. So far I put in over 4K miles since the oil change. I was once told by a mechanic that I can run 6K miles on full synthetic oil. Can I put in anouther 2K miles before my next oil change? Before using synthetic I'd just buy the cheap Proline oil/filter and have an oil change every 3K miles.

Also, my family and I will be traveling from SoCal to the Bay Area for Christmas, what's the best tire pressure for cross-state traveling? :drive:

Any help and advice will be appreciated. Thanks and Merry Christmas! :mullet:

Joshua

·
Banned
7,509 Posts
heard people put over 10,000 miles on syn oil. but they all get their oil analized to have it checked out. but 6,000 I really sont see a prob. goto this site and ask the question over there they know it all when it comes to oil.

bob is the oil guy

this would be your best bet

as far as tire pressure what ever is on your door plate. under and over inflation is bad on a tire and can be dangerous. so if its 35PSI then go with 35 PSI

·
Gas Guzlin and Tire smoke
3,301 Posts
I try not to take risks with mine, I use Mobil one and Royal purpel, I Alternate than at 3000 mile intervils.....But i just put in that new Mobil one clean 7500 mile stuff, ill take it to 5000 miles before oil change

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
royal purple ever 5k, i dont doubt i can last longer, but ive seen some ppl who have ruined there cars because they did, granted they wernt using synthetic, still scared me though.

·
Banned
7,509 Posts
99durango318 said:
I try not to take risks with mine, I use Mobil one and Royal purpel, I Alternate than at 3000 mile intervils.....But i just put in that new Mobil one clean 7500 mile stuff, ill take it to 5000 miles before oil change
if you change the syn oil every 3K miles. your justwasting money. and should just use dino oil. 5K would be the time I would change syn oils. I am about ready to try some german castrol Syntec 0w-30 suppose to be some really good oil. as it not made in the USA but imported from germany.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right on fellas!

Oil change should be about due by the time I get back from the Christmas travel. Thanks again guys! Merry Christmas! :mullet:

Joshua

·
Registered
862 Posts
I do 6000 miles per oil change, but change out the filter every 3k... And I am religious to Royal Purple and a K&N oil filter... Be sure to replace what oil you lost in the filter change...

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
DanDB64 said:
I do 6000 miles per oil change, but change out the filter every 3k... And I am religious to Royal Purple and a K&N oil filter... Be sure to replace what oil you lost in the filter change...
wait, how do u change a filter without taking all the oil out first? or do u take all the oil out then put it back in? little confused

·
7,610 Posts
lately ive been just using syn, valvoline 5w-30 75K mile syn and k&n filter, and change every 5-6K, been thinkin of gettin an oil magnet.

·
Banned
7,509 Posts
Ace said:
wait, how do u change a filter without taking all the oil out first? or do u take all the oil out then put it back in? little confused

Ace you can take your filter off and only loose under a QT of oil. whats in the filter and whats left in the line to the filter. it wont drain all your oil. as your filter is higher than your oil pan.

·
Boost.....coming soon :D
41,739 Posts
47SLTDuRide said:
Oil change should be about due by the time I get back from the Christmas travel. Thanks again guys! Merry Christmas! :mullet:

Joshua
damn....i'm traveling in my dak from So Cal to bay area also :biggthump
my sister lives in Hercules. Havn't seen her new place since she lived in Concord.
changed my oil less than 600miles ago :biggthump

·
Registered
488 Posts
I would just stick to Mobile one syn. oil. Question, what is the difference in the 5000,7500, and the 10,000 mile oil,beside price?

Out here.

·
Banned
7,509 Posts
UsRanger11B1V said:
I would just stick to Mobile one syn. oil. Question, what is the difference in the 5000,7500, and the 10,000 mile oil,beside price?

Out here.

basically the additive package from what I read

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
SLVRBLT said:
damn....i'm traveling in my dak from So Cal to bay area also :biggthump
my sister lives in Hercules. Havn't seen her new place since she lived in Concord.
changed my oil less than 600miles ago :biggthump
Get out of here! We're driving directly to Hercules from LA,too! My wife and I have relatives there. What a small world. You driving your Dak up there? Hey, if you see a white lowered Durango with 17" R/T rims, missing roof rack, that's mine. Anyway, SLVRBLT, hope you have a safe trip and Merry Christmas! :drive: :mullet:

Joshua

·
Boost.....coming soon :D
41,739 Posts
47SLTDuRide said:
Get out of here! We're driving directly to Hercules from LA,too! My wife and I have relatives there. What a small world. You driving your Dak up there? Hey, if you see a white lowered Durango with 17" R/T rims, missing roof rack, that's mine. Anyway, SLVRBLT, hope you have a safe trip and Merry Christmas! :drive: :mullet:

Joshua
Same goes to you :biggthump I'll be with my dad so i'll probably be in the slow lane :cussing: I'll be heading out of Ventura so I'll have a little head start :drive:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
SLVRBLT said:
Same goes to you :biggthump I'll be with my dad so i'll probably be in the slow lane :cussing: I'll be heading out of Ventura so I'll have a little head start :drive:
You driving with your dad? Just picked up my father-in-law from LAX this morning. He just told me he has a prostate condition so he'll be using the bathroom often. :cussing: Damn! Now I know we'll get there longer than it should take...all those bathroom stops! Take care!

Joshua

·
Pearls Before Swine
967 Posts
I know the threads been kinda off track, but I have over 210K on the Dak and since the day I got it its had nothing but Royal Purple and K&N Oil filters in it! I change it once a month cause of the distance I travel, but that can be anywhere from 4K to 5K so thats about what I'd do! :biggthump

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
Jecht said:
Ace you can take your filter off and only loose under a QT of oil. whats in the filter and whats left in the line to the filter. it wont drain all your oil. as your filter is higher than your oil pan.
ah, well i feel dumb but thanks for straighned that out, i was getting mighty confused

·
Registered
509 Posts
47SLTDuRide said:
I heard all the rave about Royal Purple engine oil so a few months back I bought a few quarts and thought I'd give it a try albeit it was the most expensive engine at Pep Boys. So far I put in over 4K miles since the oil change. I was once told by a mechanic that I can run 6K miles on full synthetic oil. Can I put in anouther 2K miles before my next oil change? Before using synthetic I'd just buy the cheap Proline oil/filter and have an oil change every 3K miles.

Also, my family and I will be traveling from SoCal to the Bay Area for Christmas, what's the best tire pressure for cross-state traveling? :drive:

Any help and advice will be appreciated. Thanks and Merry Christmas! :mullet:

Joshua

Joshua,

I too have seen Royal Purple at Pep Boys also and never bothered to try it. It is very expensive. I've always used Mobil 1 myself as it's expensive enough for my pocket book. I have wondered how they compare though. Anyone who wants to give us the scoop.

For your cross country trip I usuall keep 35 in the front and 41 in the back according to the instructions on the door. Doing this it's give me 21.2 on the highway but it's not easy to do but it can be done.

Now and then I still think about trying an engine treatment in order to increase MPG in my "D". I've heard all the pros and cons of doing this but now a days can one stand to lose anything at this point?

rimfire,22

1 - 20 of 30 Posts