Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
What tha duece?!
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As far as moderate offroading goes, how capible is the R/T AWD/4WD system? Im guessing the AWD is a part time system? I noticed that to switch it from AWD to either of the 4WD settings, it uses a selector switch(electric). Have there been any probs with that? Id prefer the manual lever but I have yet to see one in a R/T. Any info would be appreciated. Not looking to rock crawl but maybe mild to moderate trail riding, mud holes, and the like.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Unless you have different WHEELS and tires... I wouldn't suggest any trials of any sort... unless they are just dirt... like a dirt road or something.

As far as your 4X4 goes... you shouldn't have a problem with getting it into 4X4 mode with that switch,... and it will be 4X4 once you get it there. I would just suggest not to hit that switch, unless you are sitting still. I think that goes without saying,... but I'm just not sure.

Paul

A

·
0 Posts
1reddurango said:
As far as moderate offroading goes, how capible is the R/T AWD/4WD system? Im guessing the AWD is a part time system? I noticed that to switch it from AWD to either of the 4WD settings, it uses a selector switch(electric). Have there been any probs with that? Id prefer the manual lever but I have yet to see one in a R/T. Any info would be appreciated. Not looking to rock crawl but maybe mild to moderate trail riding, mud holes, and the like.
IMO...You should have no problem with mild to moderate trail riding, mud holes, and the like. Your tires will determine what you can and cant handle as far as mud. My owners manual states that I need to be moving while I engage and disengage my 4x4 and shifting from 4 low to 4 high. Arizona trails are catitorized a category 0-5. 0 is a highway and 5 is impassable. I have taken my Durango through category 3.5 trails here in AZ. Although very hairy, I was able to do it without damaging my rocker panels.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts