Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What size rim and wheel combos is everyone running? Whats everyone prefer for traction and tread life?? I hear alot of good things about BF Goodrich.

When the day comes to get new tires for my truck...how big can I go on a stock 4x4 suspension(16x8 rims) with little or no trimming of the wheel well???

·
Registered
250 Posts
im running 35inch pro-comp xterrains on 17x8 wheels. the traction is awsome and there not that loud on the street. im very happy with them

·
Registered
374 Posts
the biggest rave I've heard so far as far as offroad performance with good street manners is the goodyear MTR's, pricey but there driveability pays for itself. what factory tires do you have on there now?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have goodyear wranglers from the dealership

·
Registered
374 Posts
I need more of a size factor to recall how much lift you have, Durango's have different stances (or so I've noticed), there were the models that came with the 31's (they sit higher), and I believe models that came with 235 series tires...

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, they are 265/70/16 mounted on 16x8 wheels...does that help any?

·
Registered
374 Posts
yes thats generall a 30.5 diameter tire, a buddy of mine fit 32x11.5" tires but it rubbed a little bit, if you wouldnt mind investing a small amount of money and time you can get rear chevy drop shackles that will provide 1-2" of lift and crank the torsions for a little bit more lift up front, other then that it will fit 32's but offroad will rub a little bit.

D

·
0 Posts
I got BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain tires, not the all-terrain like most people have that fit dakotas...hehe. Well mine rubbed so i hade make some adjustments to the front bumper in front of the tire and a minor one behind it. Mud-Terrains look great!! Espeacially witht he American Racing Rims i have on it. The tims i got are 16x8 and the tires are 31x10.50
Luckily for me BFGoodrich has a pic of my exact set up... My own pics to come very soon.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
studlybilly said:
yes thats generall a 30.5 diameter tire, a buddy of mine fit 32x11.5" tires but it rubbed a little bit, if you wouldnt mind investing a small amount of money and time you can get rear chevy drop shackles that will provide 1-2" of lift and crank the torsions for a little bit more lift up front, other then that it will fit 32's but offroad will rub a little bit.
So with drop shackles and cranking the torsion bars out an inch or so i can get 32's? with a little rub off road?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Deadtoday said:
I got BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain tires, not the all-terrain like most people have that fit dakotas...hehe. Well mine rubbed so i hade make some adjustments to the front bumper in front of the tire and a minor one behind it. Mud-Terrains look great!! Espeacially witht he American Racing Rims i have on it. The tims i got are 16x8 and the tires are 31x10.50

What exactly(sp) did you have to do in terms of Adjustments?

J

·
0 Posts
My vote goes to the TrXus MTs, I've got a set of 35s. They are real good in the rain and mud, ride real smooth on the highway and are not that loud.

D

·
0 Posts
DakotaDurango said:
Deadtoday said:

What exactly(sp) did you have to do in terms of Adjustments?
In front of the front tires, the back of the bumper comes down straight, since my car isnt lifted when i turn the wheel the edges of the tires rubbed. So i cut a piece of the bumper so instead of it coming down straight it slanted towards the front of the car thus the tires not rubbing anymore, I finished off the cut with nice rubber lining to make it look good rather then all roughed up. Im still trying to figure out how to post pics because my computer is shit but if you want a picture send me a message with your e-mailn address and i'll send you pics of what i did.

I was told 31's were the biggest i could put on a dakota without rub. They were wrong, so instead of returning $1400 in tires/rims i improvised. They still rub a little bit when i go over a bump hard or something, not an often occurance though.

·
Registered
89 Posts
i'm running 33" BF G MT's on a 17" rim...I like 'em pretty good..they really kick butt in the muck in Vermont where I go...when I ws running 31" Nitto Terra Grapplers before the lift..I had to trim some fender plastic to keep 'em from rubbing..but also keep in mind that they were on aftermarket rims..with different backspacing..maybe if they were on stock rims I'd be ok...

·
Registered
79 Posts
im runnign 18x8.5' tires with 285/60/18 nitto terra grappler all terrains.

they are about 32 inches tall. ver happy with them.

I

·
0 Posts
"Whats everyone prefer for traction and tread life??"
When I was looking into this for my Explorer about 3 years ago, the general concensus was the Michelin LTX M/S for those who only went off road occasionally, while the Michelin LTX A/T was the recco for those who wanted to to play more in 4x4 mode, but still maintain good street performance. This only applies to '91-'01 Explorers - not sure about the 2002+ models. I went with the A/Ts for summer fun and studded Hancook Zovac HPW401 for winter driving.

I'm wondering:
What is the largest tire size that fits as a spare under a 2001-2003 Durango?

Thanks
-----
dan

T

·
0 Posts
I used 285/75/16 Dunlop Radial Mud Rovers they look mean and as far as I can tell they have some good grip, they are quite quiet on the road but you know they are there, and they ride 10 times better then the Wrangler RT/S I hated those tires felt like I was driveing down railroad tracks. I made some brackets and pushed my front bumper forward about 1 1/2" to 2" they don't rub at all now and I didn't have to cut anything on my truck. I will be putting in a 3" lift soon and replace my front bumper back into place. Hope these pics come through.

Attachments

·
I like trucks
3,171 Posts
Ive had wrangler mtr's in 31x10.5 and dunlop mud rovers in 32x11.5

The wranglers are a hard compound loud..very very tough tire..mine took almost 4 nails each and never had one flat.

The dunlops are a softer sticky tire..they wear faster and are much quieter.

BFG m/t's are also a great tire.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts