Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The painted centers on mine look good but the outer machined edge were the wheel weights attach are oxidized. Any thoughts on how to clean/repair them without stripping the whole wheel? I had thought of wet sanding but am not sure.

·
I hate you people.
2,787 Posts
Sorry, bud, but the OE Dakota alloy wheels are clear coated, if you have oxidation on the outer lip, then the coating is going to start peeling elsewhere.
Perfect excuse to mirror polish those wheels. :D

·
Banned
63 Posts
Yea I'm pretty sure you have to sand them down and re-finish them once you see oxidation. Usually oxidation occurs right on the bare metal surface, sso this means it's oxidizing on scratches that went through the OE clear/paint or rusting below it.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What would be the prefered method of removing the clear coat and polishing them?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Go to your local parts supply they will have a chemical there (I can't remember the name but ask they will know) that is designed just for removing clear from wheels. Then bust out the sand paper and the mothers mag and wheel polish and go to town! Make sure you wax them after or they will start looking like crap in a month or two.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. I was thinking of removing the wheel weights (tires are still mounted) and wet sanding the machined edge until I get the oxidation removed and then respray some clear on them. The only spots that are oxidized are just the outer machined edges.

·
Go Rangers!!
3,159 Posts
Thanks for the info. I was thinking of removing the wheel weights (tires are still mounted) and wet sanding the machined edge until I get the oxidation removed and then respray some clear on them. The only spots that are oxidized are just the outer machined edges.
When you get them re-balanced have the weights put on the inside. They will tell you that the tires wont stay balanced as long this way, but thats how all my wheels have been balanced and Ive never had any issues with it over the years.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I typically static balance my wheels/tires. After I get the wheels done I will put new tires on them and be good to go. I plan on selling the MB "Kane" wheels that are on the truck now.

·
Go Rangers!!
3,159 Posts
I typically static balance my wheels/tires. After I get the wheels done I will put new tires on them and be good to go. I plan on selling the MB "Kane" wheels that are on the truck now.
Ive never had a "Static balance" what do they do to do it this way?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When you static balance, only weights are on inside of wheel. I am not sure how the balance machine figures out how/where the weights are placed.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Do you have pics of the 92 wheels? I may be interested depending on what style the are.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No thanks on the chrome steel wheels. I don't lke care for the looks of them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts