Dakota Durango Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

· Premium Member
14,342 Posts
My 42re wouldn't shift into OD all the time in the winter. I've made hour long trips at 3000rpm because it wouldn't shift.

Maybe your definition of super fucking cold, and my definition of super fucking cold are different :jester:
Your tranny needs to get up to 50degrees F in order for the TCM to allow OD to engage. The frist Nebraska winter my '99 R/T saw when i came back home to visit my parents, it took about 1/2 hour of driving before it finally kicked into OD and that was at highway speeds. The outside temp was hovering around zero and that was running the stock tranny cooler in radiator and factory aux cooler. On my '00 with just the external Tru-cool tranny cooler and thermal bypass it doesn't take but 1 mile of driving, even in sub zero temps for the tranny to shift into OD.

· .:.:.:.:.:.:.:.
8,002 Posts
My 42re wouldn't shift into OD all the time in the winter. I've made hour long trips at 3000rpm because it wouldn't shift.

Maybe your definition of super fucking cold, and my definition of super fucking cold are different :jester:
I should hope not...according to the FSM, the 45RFE has to be below -16ºF to not engage 4th gear. Basically, it uses limp mode at that temperature. PRN and 3rd gear is all you get, unless you manually shift to 2nd.

· Registered
1,118 Posts
I should hope not...according to the FSM, the 45RFE has to be below -16ºF to not engage 4th gear. Basically, it uses limp mode at that temperature. PRN and 3rd gear is all you get, unless you manually shift to 2nd.
lol @ -16f...that's just barely getting cold...no where near "super fucking cold" :jester:

two different transmissions. can't really compare the two like that.
yeah, I didn't notice it was for the electronically controlled trans

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.