Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
The Anti-RUB
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
This has been going on for quite a while, but I've had no other problems with the tranny so I wasn't sure if it was normal or not. For some reason, when my truck is cold and I go onto the highway, OverDrive won't kick in until the truck warms up (the temp gauge moves just barely into the "normal" range). Is this normal or should I be worried? I've checked the tranny fluid level (after 50 mile drive) and it is about 2 mm above the top 'dot'. I don't have any other tranny issues. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks...

·
Go Rangers!!
3,159 Posts
Hey,
This has been going on for quite a while, but I've had no other problems with the tranny so I wasn't sure if it was normal or not. For some reason, when my truck is cold and I go onto the highway, OverDrive won't kick in until the truck warms up (the temp gauge moves just barely into the "normal" range). Is this normal or should I be worried? I've checked the tranny fluid level (after 50 mile drive) and it is about 2 mm above the top 'dot'. I don't have any other tranny issues. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks...
Pretty sure its normal, mine does it every time until warm, just like you said.

·
Premium Member
17,622 Posts
What do you mean by "warmed up"? It's not normal unless it's cold outside and the tranny temp is below 50 degrees. Which even or my truck in sub zero temps doesn't take but a couple miles of driving, and long before the engine temp gage starts to move much.

·
Go Rangers!!
3,159 Posts
What do you mean by "warmed up"? It's not normal unless it's cold outside and the tranny temp is below 50 degrees. Which even or my truck in sub zero temps doesn't take but a couple miles of driving, and long before the engine temp gage starts to move much.

Mine wont shift into OD until the engine temp gauge is up close to normal, but thats only when its cold as shit outside.

Dont you have a diff tranny than our 4.7s? Not sure if that matters.

·
The Anti-RUB
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What do you mean by "warmed up"?
I don't know what the actual tranny or engine temp is. I just noticed that OD will kick in around the time the gauge pin just enters the "normal" area of the gauge face (which only takes a couple miles at highway speeds). The outside temps aren't all that cold. Ranging from 40-60's lately.

Dont you have a diff tranny than our 4.7s
Its the stock tranny. 545RFE with stock trans cooler.

·
Blown and Squirted
3,407 Posts
For the older transmissions, at 40-60 ambiant, you wouldnt have an OD lockout, I'd be surprised if the newer transmission were less tolerant of cold weather. Something might be up. Get a scanner on it for a cold start and drive and see what your tranny temps read out as.

·
Premium Member
17,622 Posts
Locking the TC and shifting into OD are two different things. Not sure if the OP is getting them confused or not.

·
ROFLcopter
16,692 Posts
I know this is a different vehicle entirely, but my ford does this, it's recently been in the 20's, and low teens at night, my truck will sit for 15 hours, when I start it in the morning, and plop it into gear, reverse will work to back out, put it into drive, it will go, and then nothing, throw it in N for a few seconds and back into D and it's fine. I have found that warming the truck up in N has eliminated the problem. Once again, different truck/trans/motor entirely.

·
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.
10,424 Posts
I know this is a different vehicle entirely, but my ford does this, it's recently been in the 20's, and low teens at night, my truck will sit for 15 hours, when I start it in the morning, and plop it into gear, reverse will work to back out, put it into drive, it will go, and then nothing, throw it in N for a few seconds and back into D and it's fine. I have found that warming the truck up in N has eliminated the problem. Once again, different truck/trans/motor entirely.
Try letting it idle in neutral for a min or two before you get going. Could just be cold fluid being slow or something leaking back and the system needing to prime.

·
The Anti-RUB
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Locking the TC and shifting into OD are two different things. Not sure if the OP is getting them confused or not.
I'm assuming its over drive and not the torque converter. It will run at 2k RPM's at 65MPH until it gets warm, and then will up shift (into overdrive?) and the RPM's will drop to 1.5k. Is that OD or TC?

·
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.
10,424 Posts
It's your TC lock. Read the temp chart I posted.

It's got to be super fucking cold to not engage OD. Count the shifts, I bet it goes 1, 2, 3, 4....wait while cold, then TC lock and 5th.

That said, the way this trans shifts, it locks the TC in 4th, then shifts to 5th. 4th and 5th gears are both overdrive (.75:1 and .67:1).

If you want to check whether the TC is locked or not, touch the brakes lightly while you're driving. When the trans sees the brakes are on, it unlocks the TC clutch. If the RPM go up when you touch the brake, the TC was locked.

·
ROFLcopter
16,692 Posts
Try letting it idle in neutral for a min or two before you get going. Could just be cold fluid being slow or something leaking back and the system needing to prime.
Exactly what I do! Once it has been driven a few miles, all is well on the home front!:mullet:

·
The Anti-RUB
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you want to check whether the TC is locked or not, touch the brakes lightly while you're driving.
Do you mean I keep my foot on the gas while at highway speed (65MPH) and tap the brake pedal? Right?

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
It's got to be super fucking cold to not engage OD. Count the shifts, I bet it goes 1, 2, 3, 4....wait while cold, then TC lock and 5th.
My 42re wouldn't shift into OD all the time in the winter. I've made hour long trips at 3000rpm because it wouldn't shift.

Maybe your definition of super fucking cold, and my definition of super fucking cold are different :jester:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts