Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if an nv249 swap or similar TC has been done on our trucks? Years ago I had a 94 ZJ Limited that was absolutely bulletproof at 300k miles. Didn't have the funds or means to restore it like I do now with my Dak but I would love to get a full time 4WD TC into my 99 w/5.2 if it's possible.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I swapped an NP242 into my '91 Dakota with FT 4WD. Been running it for several years, haven't even shifted in out of FT in at least 2 years.

I had to find an input shaft to match my trans output shaft, don't remember exactly why. Maybe because I found an early NP242 with a 21 spline input and needed a 23 spline input? Been several years so don't remember exactly why, but I don't remember it being difficult to do.

I had to shorten my rear driveshaft as well, but the truck is a mess of parts and had some weird TC when I got it so might not be necessary.

I had to get a TC shifter out of a Durango to get it to work, and then slot one mounting hole to get it bolted up. I should have slotted the rear hole though as 4WD Low won't stay in unless I am holding the shifter due to the boot pushing it out of gear.

Based on my notes, looks like the 98-00 Dakota could be had with an NP242 TC. Maybe you just need to look for the parts to swap it?

Looks like the NV249 had a viscous coupler though and no 2WD mode. The NP242 has a differential in FT 4WD and no viscous coupler but has 2WD. So maybe an NP242 doesn't fit the bill for you?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh that's dope! Well, I liked the way my ZJ handled in the snow and offroad but was able to transition back to pavement w/o any shifting necessary. Was basically seeing how hard it would be to get FT 4WD without doing any crazy fab work. I know a lot of parts are interchangeable so I was seeing if perhaps that's the case here. Maybe some adapter plates or something.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts