Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd post my experiences with the rebuild of our 2005 Durango Limited AWD I bought, not running (first mistake). Long story short, 189k on the clock and it sheared the cam pin. That led to a complete rebuild of the drivetrain. Full hemi rebuild, trans rebuild, transfer case, all ball joints, suspension, shocks, u-joints, all seals, all new brakes-rotors, pads, caliper rebuilds. I did all this myself in spare time, my day job is in I.T., but cars are my hobby, was a professional wrench long time ago.

Anyway, the purpose here is to share some of the transfer case check and repair. I pulled the transfer case apart to check it and replace all the seals. Being that I regularly rebuild Tremec manual transmissions, this wasn't much different, but finding parts, manual and procedures is near impossible for this NV244D. I found a good parts source in A & Reds transmission parts https://www.areds.com/transfer-case/ No affiliation, just a happy customer.

After replacing all the seals and reassembling it, all appeared fine and the first drive went well. At a stop light I got on it a bit and then the trouble started, this banging noise and the driveline was slightly jumping on acceleration. Got it home, checked all bolts, every thing is tight. Put in in 4Hi and 4Lo, no difference.

Well, pulled the transfer case back out of the Durango and pulled it apart. It seemed 1 chain is slightly longer than the other one now, whereas they were the same length. All the gear faces looked good, all the bearings are good, pump working fine. Finally found the Borg Warner part # HV-084 for the 2 chain set in this unit. It's apparently a bad experiment called the Genesis-II transfer case, the idea being the harmonics of 2 chains is quieter than 1 chain.

Anyway, cleaned out the case again, the other chains apparently shed a lot of crap the little bit it was driven. Checked the gear faces where the chains ride and they still have their machining marks from the factory, so they are fine, no sharp edges. Checked the chain slack, much less with new chains. Sealed the case with a thin bead of RTV, allowed it to skin over before final assembly and then put it back in the truck.

Also had an issue with the front driveshaft CV boot leaking. They aren't available either and the options were a new shaft from Dodge at almost $700, OUCH!. Parts houses carry the cardone rebuilt unit for under $300, personally I avoid cardone products like the plague. Searched around and finally found that Dorman makes the CV joint kit for the front shaft. PN 932-305. Local parts house wanted $165 for it, Amazon has it for $103. Got it in 2 days, removed the old one with a cut-off wheel (it did not want to come off) by cutting the cage apart, pulling the joint apart and then cutting thru opposite sides of the inner race attached to the splined driveshaft. Lubed the splines, replaced the spring clip and then assembled the new joint and it's now leak free.

I think of this Durango as my money pit. While driving today, the brand new windshield wipers on the new windshield are streaking, time for another brand of wiper blades, Rain-x ones going in the trash.

Hope this helps someone.:smile:
Curtis

·
Registered
1 Posts
Racerx, I have a 2003 Dakota AWD with a NV244-D transfer case that is destroyed. I've seen NV244 on line. I'm just trying to get the truck back up as cheaply as possible since it has many other issues and 200K miles. Will either the NV244 or NV244-D work in my case? I followed the link to transmision parts and it kinda looks like either should work. Can youi tell me the difference between the two? Really appreciate any help.

thx, Dick

1 - 2 of 2 Posts