Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Durango SLT 2WD with an automatic transmission. It makes a pretty loud horrible grinding noise for a few seconds when it is shifted into gear. I was concerned so I brought it to the dealer. He told me that it is normal and it is the solenoid somethig? ratcheting. Apparently this is something that all the new Dodge transmissions have. It supposedly helps in providing smoother shifting. It apparently happens when the transmission is shifting through the different gears in drive too, but it is harder to hear. Does anyone know what exactly this solenoid thing is and what it really does? And is this noise really normal for the new Dodge trannies? I will make sure that I get it in writing from the dealer that this noise is "normal", just in case.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The shifting of the new transmissions is controlled electronically by the pcm verse check valves, orifaces and springs in the tranny prior to computer control. In order for the pcm to do it's thing there are a number of solinoids that the pcm will operate. Many times you can hear them clicking as they are activated.

Certainly there should not be a "horrible grinding noise". I would take it to another dealer.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hear it on my 03 Dakota(auto tranny), and you can tell that it is a solinoids(sp?) operating. I have noticed when going from park to reverse, and from gear to gear. I can see where you'd think it was a "horrible grinding noise."

·
eat cheese or die!
663 Posts
mine dosn't do that but it's a stick. my brothers auto makes a weird noise when ya put it in park. but it's not a grinding sound, more like a rachet wrench sound.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a '99 Durango with an auto, and mine kinda makes the same noise. Sounds more like a "chatter" though, and mainly when it's hot. Another forum said it was a heat shield, but I beg to differ. While I'm talking about the tranny and being hot, when my truck gets hot, under light-medium trottle, I get this pretty loud howel. That other forum I mentioned said that it was probable my intake making that noise. My question to ya'll is..........if it is my intake, why does it only happen when it's hot? It also made the same noise with the factory airbox. Thanks gents.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts