Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read the other posts on this topic, and don't seem to be finding the answer to my problem. So I'm posting it in the hopes that someone out there knows what I'm talking about.

I have a 98 Durango (125K on the odometer) with the 9.25 Trac Lock rear end. 3.92 ratio. Over the past month or so I've developed a "noise" that sounds like it's located in the differential. I had it up on stands and in gear and the noise is quite loud and has a corroborating vibration that likewise seems located in the differential. I drained the fluid and saw no evidence of metal shavings or anything of that nature. I refilled with 75W-90 oil and the posi additive. Took it for a drive and the noise is still there, just like before. It's not a chattering noise at all, it sounds like really loud tire noise but makes it even when there aren't wheels on it! What else could it be?

Thanks for all the help!

Jed

·
Registered
315 Posts
My guess is that your gears are not set propperly. You may want to take it to a shop that specializes in gears and have them look at it.

·
Banned
6,056 Posts
At 125k miles, I HIGHLY doubt it's anything with the gears. If they haven't been messed with, there should be nothing wrong with them.

My guess is it's just the LSD. They wear out after time, and at 125k miles, I can see it being the problem. Like said above, take it to a shop and have them inspect all aspects of the entire differential to see what they say.

·
318 Posts
I had a similar problem, I had a whining noise that came from my rear end ( | ):jester: anyways... I had a constant whine that went away when I put in the new gears and lsd. but there was still a whine that came on around 45mph or so then showed up a little later, it was a bearing in the overdrive.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Does the rear end make noise when you put it into drive then into reverse? If so it could be that there is too much back lash. Also it could be an axle bearing going out, for a few bucks you can purchase a mechanics stethoscope.

Use it to find out where the sound is coming from. There is what is called transcendental sound. If a bearing on the axel is making the noise the sound can travel from the bearing to the gears.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From what I can tell, the noise ONLY comes when driving; and then it only becomes audible around 10MPH. I don't want to believe it could be the LSD, partly because I've had other vehicles with it with more miles and much harder use and never experienced this kind of problem. Is the axle bearing something a shady tree mechanic like myself would be able to do? Is there a real danger of messing up the pinion angle or anything like that, or is it easily avoidable?

Keept the helpful suggestions coming! I'll let you know if anything changes.

Thanks,

Jed

G

·
Jed said:
From what I can tell, the noise ONLY comes when driving; and then it only becomes audible around 10MPH. I don't want to believe it could be the LSD, partly because I've had other vehicles with it with more miles and much harder use and never experienced this kind of problem. Is the axle bearing something a shady tree mechanic like myself would be able to do? Is there a real danger of messing up the pinion angle or anything like that, or is it easily avoidable?

Keept the helpful suggestions coming! I'll let you know if anything changes.

Thanks,

Jed
mine comes at 10mph also but only when i am turnin..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's the latest:

It looks like the pinion bearing will need to be replaced. What is an average/ fair price for that kind of work? I've heard vastly different numbers.

My D's info again: 98 Durango, LSD, 3.92 ratio, 4WD, 125K miles

I've heard I should have the rear rebuilt at the same time, how much more should I expect for that?

Jed

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.