Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 2004 4.7 dakota off road. normally no problem. but when my dakota had to climb a small incline about 10-20 dragress or so. It started to lose all power to the rear and make a loud clicking noise. normal driving no prob. drifting on dirt no prob. do-nuts no prob. towing again no prob. racing hondas no prob. so I dont know what it was. Is the rear diff just weak under lager loud's?

PLEASE help me out guys

·
Registered
239 Posts
Without seeing it, the problem could be caused by a lot of things but from your description it sounds like something is giving up under load. Saw a similar problem on a Jeep Liberty once, the splines had worn out on the rear axle pinion flange. I couldn't see anything wrong untill I removed the flange.

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
Im going to go out on a limb and suggest the issue could be your Clutch pack retainer clips to your LSD unit... This would be the first thing that comes to mind. Pull your cover, if you have pieces of metal clips at the bottom then you are a victim...

The fix would be a new Auburn or Detroit Tru Trac Posi Carrier.

SPEED SAFE, NICK

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Air ram.......holy crap the price tag! Yeah it may be worth the price but im new to the mob world. close to $500.00 bucks. right now i just want to either fix or upgrade the diff. but not that price tag. holly crap.

but thanks for the idea. so how can i get rid of the fuel cut off at 100mph. i can feel the engine has more to give.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Get a tuner to cure your top end problem. Sounds like your problem is your limited slip rear if you have one. Sounds similar to mine before it took a full on dump.

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
Air ram.......holy crap the price tag! Yeah it may be worth the price but im new to the mob world. close to $500.00 bucks. right now i just want to either fix or upgrade the diff. but not that price tag. holly crap.

but thanks for the idea. so how can i get rid of the fuel cut off at 100mph. i can feel the engine has more to give.
Your going to end up spending it either way IF the clips are your problem. The Auburn is a great option as well... And if your go in to replace the damaged gears, it would be in your best interest to take this opportunity to do it once and do it right. With that said, 4.56 gears with an Auburn Posi unit will be the "Best" cheap way out.

Rear ends are never cheap when they visit the farm.

Keep us posted.

SPEED SAFE, NICK

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
You can say that again not being cheap. But I've heard that Auburn units are junk.

·
Old Fart
182 Posts
You can say that again not being cheap. But I've heard that Auburn units are junk.
The "problem" with the Auburn is that it's not rebuildable if it wears out. But if it lasts 200,000 miles (likely), who cares? I ran one in my Jeep for years and it still worked just as well when I sold it as when I bought it. And I've yet to hear of anybody breaking one.

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
I'm not sure where you heard that from... I disagree with that statement. We have sold about 20 Auburn units in the last 12 months and have not heard of any issues. We have been selling them on our site since 2003 and to this day we have not had any issues reported to us.

From our experience, the Auburn is a great unit and 100x better than the "Ticking Time bomb" factory LSD.

Your gears are only as good as the person installing them... this includes the carrier. Many installers will blame the parts before they ever accept the blame for a botched install.

I would not fear the Auburn POSI...

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

·
Registered
704 Posts
to the op just get a new clutch pack, they sell on ebay for $50 bucks, Ive shattered two 9.25 housings and open case carriers, been through all the options far as posi units, stay away from auburn diffs, had mine for two months and it died, one tire all day long and no rebuild jus a way to do a warranty and auburn lets you purchase another, detroit locker best option in the book you can't break it, but is harsh with a manual transmission driving on street, sold it to my buddy with lifted hemi ram, I'm running the stock lsd and just put down 9.3s at the track last week, only diff ill ever run in my truck again. Far as you wanting to remove speed limiter, just contact the guy hemifever or ryan that does air ram's tuniing, heard alot of good things about them, should get your truck running like you want.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thank you guys for the info. Im going to check all the parts for my diff this week.

just a little more info on the truck.
she is a 4.7 V8 run great. its 2 wheel drive, auto tran's. and factory diff.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I would like to beef up the rear diff to handle heavy loads when off road or climbing hills. beef up the shocks and struts to take hole better on road and off. new pipes for power and looks, new cams for higher red line and power, add a tune able chip to learn and play with. 3 inch lift just for looks and meaner tires (all looks really) and lastly a new set of bumpers, Tired of getting rear ended and losing my ride.

all in all its a 10+ year project...
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

again thanks for the info. I will look into the diff when I have the cash at hand. but right now there is no noise when on the road. so i will save up the money as fast as i can and get the parts.

I will update and post pic's of the rear end when i can.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
UPDATE. I will be working on my diff this week end. I have not heard any thing from the pumpkin in the last few days. I hope all is good and I will just replace the gear oil and gasket seal.

I will have to wait and see. Photos will be added on here one way or the other.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts