Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 98 dak for the past two weeks will not start on damp or rainy days. I thought is might have been moisture under the cap, but it wasn't. The cap and rotor needed to be changes so that is brand new. I thought it might have been the coil and that checked out. Once everything dries out the truck fires right up. This morning the truck did start with it raining but starting running rough and died when I got out of my drive way and would not restart. I was able to get the truck started tonight with is wet out but it took a lot of cranking. This was while I had my scan tool on live data to see if I could see anything. I really stumped as to what it could be. Any in put would be great.

·
Gen I FTW
6,010 Posts
just curious why you didn't do plugs/wires as well ?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They do need to be done, but were not too bad I cleaned them up and regaped them. I'm short on cash right now. I get paid this Fri so I'm getting plugs and wires then.

·
Gen I FTW
6,010 Posts
maybe one of the plug wires melted a bit ?

·
Gen I FTW
6,010 Posts
any arching of the wires ?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
checked them and they seemed to be ok. Even with one bad wire the truck should still start and run a little rough.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
what did you check on the coil?? did you replace it?? it may have a crack or something.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ohmed out the coil both the primary and secondary. Both were in acceptable limits according to my service manual.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
I ohmed out the coil both the primary and secondary. Both were in acceptable limits according to my service manual.
it still may have a crack or something and it wont show up when you check it with the ohm meter. i might be wrong, but im just trying to give you some ideas...

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey anything is better that nothing I'll take it out again tomorrow and look it over really well and see what I find

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Another idea is to get a spray bottle of water and squirt at different things with the engine running. Do the coil (it could be cracked/arcing), plug wires, etc as well as the engine wiring harness and wiring connectors. Also, check all the ground connections. Strange as it sounds, they can ground fine dry but not wet sometimes if there's a bit of corrosion. Keep spraying item by item until (hopefully) the engine sputters or quits. As I said, just some more ideas..........

Reactions: ALipper

·
Gen I FTW
6,010 Posts
Another idea is to get a spray bottle of water and squirt at different things with the engine running. Do the coil (it could be cracked/arcing), plug wires, etc as well as the engine wiring harness and wiring connectors. Also, check all the ground connections. Strange as it sounds, they can ground fine dry but not wet sometimes if there's a bit of corrosion. Keep spraying item by item until (hopefully) the engine sputters or quits. As I said, just some more ideas..........
that's what i've done before to reveal a bad coil.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That sounds like a damn good idea. I'll be doing that in a little while. Thanks for the input. It is greatly appreciated

·
Crown on the Rocks
1,667 Posts
do the water spray. Mine was the coil. Also pop the hood when it's dark and your truck is running. Leave all lights off and see if you have and arcing. My old 92 did this when I first got it. Wires were toast.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts