Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 Durango 4X4 4.7. The speedometer just quit, abs light came on and parking brake light came on. The speedometer does not work at all neither does the odometer/trip. Also the MIL light is on with a code p0501 ---speed sensor. I have replaced the speed sensors on the rear end and 2 on the transmission. fluid is full, fuses are good. It Shifts fine. The brakes are fine. Wires and connections seem to be good. I have cleared the codes and disconnected the battery everything comes back. It may be unrelated, but I recently replaced the a/c blower motor resistor, it was shorted out. A/C works fine now. I was considering maybe the ignition switch, the CTM, the abs control module, or the PCM.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance, you guys have always come through for me in the past.

·
Pre-Teen Giggle Brigade
6,840 Posts
rear speed sensor. it is on the top of the diff and if i remember correctly it is a 10mm bolt holding it in. takes 7 minutes to change and i think 12 bucks.

·
Registered
601 Posts
if you have 4 wheel abs, I think there sensors at the front wheels too.
Also, check the wiring to the rear sensor. Make sure you have 5 volts going to it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I replaced the speed sensor again on the rear end and it still doesn't work. Also, I checked the wires and they appear to be okay also. I tested them and have the 3.29 volts at the sensor. Any other ideas what it could be?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Does the Central Timer Module or sometimes called Body control module have anything to do with the ABS or Speedometer? I think mine is bad because all of the lights (interior, head, tail, insturment, etc) will blink off and on sporatically. Is that a seperate issue or could it be connected?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My insturment cluster had cluster codes (not OBDII codes) in it of 950 and 999 "no communication with the abs" To read them you press and hold the odometer reset button and turn on the ignition to on, but don't crank it. I replaced the ABS module or CAB conroller with one from a junk yard. It fixed the problem instanly. However, the ABS light blinked until I reprogrammed the ABS with the right ring gear and tire size. Just posting as an update for the next guy with the same problem.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts