Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yea it was 5 below zero this morning and I started driving and noticed that the trans was not shifting into OD. is it because the fluid is too cold and thick or what else could it be.

·
Registered
227 Posts
hmm i've never had problems like that and i mean i've driven the truck around in low teens. by 45 it'll always shift into OD. does sound a lil weird, but i'd say for now the cold is prolly affecting it so i dunno if it could be anything in the OD unit or not.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didnt have time to let it warm up at all. I was already running late for class. it is a 15 mile drive for me to get to class and it still had not shifted when I got there. It cant be the 2-4 Band servo sticking because it still shifted into 2nd. So I dont know what the hell is going on with it.

·
I like trucks
3,171 Posts
My truck does this exact same thing. It was like 10 below last night and at 65 it still wouldnt shift to OD. It took awhile before it finally did.

·
gettin hearing aids by 30
781 Posts
the trans will not shift into OD untill it is at normal operating temp, at least that what it says in my 04's owners manuel.

·
"Fuchengruhvin"
1,766 Posts
Yep, kinda what everyone is saying...transmissions shift off of vacuum and fluid pressure. If you just jump in, start up and go...I'd say when it get's down to around freezing, your tranny fluid has the consistency of sap...very thick. Another thing that people are experiencing is the tranny stalling out to around 27k - 35k before engaging...same thing only the cold is affecting the fluid in the convertor. Best way to handle this, switch to synthetic (to prevent internal damage if you have to jump in a go all the time) or the best thing to do, let her warm up a little!

Good luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.