Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm only getting .333 volts at the coil no power to asd relay. I have power to fuel pump but no pressure and its not coming on and the pump is brand new

·
Registered
2003 RT (5.9)
329 Posts
My understanding is that an '02 would utilize the PCI Bus system and I am about as clear as mud on this bus system stuff, but I took some notes from previous 'no bus' threads & someone once wrote that: "No BUS" in the odometer would mean that "the instrument panel is not receiving communication from the PCI Bus.. (If the instrument panel is not receiving communication from the PCI Bus, neither are most of the other components." My understanding is also that the PCM is one of the modules in the system.

My notes that I took on the subject say that it "is usually a bad ground in the PCM itself. PCM has at least 2 ground wires."

Who did the repair on your PCM and how long ago? Any warranty left on the work? I am not convinced it's the PCM, but. . . .

·
Registered
2003 RT (5.9)
329 Posts
. . . I also took notes on the CAN Bus system, and this may also apply to the PCI bus system, and someone wrote that "NO BUS generally means the CAN BUS is being squashed by one module or a damaged wire. The instrument cluster cannot communicate with other controllers. A bad sensor could possibly pull down a controller supply voltage. The sensors themselves are NOT part of the Bus."

·
Registered
2003 RT (5.9)
329 Posts
As to your ASD relay and the fact that you are getting 0.3 volts at the coil I would think that the 0.3 volts would have to be leaking through the ASD relay I guess as there should be no other route for it to arrive there?

With power to the fuel pump but no operation could a ground be disconnected somewhere?
I've also written in my notes that "if the PCM senses no signal from the crank or cam position sensors it will deenergise the ASD relay AND the fuel pump relay. However, I do realize that you have stated that you checked and you are getting power to the fuel pump.

Haynes says that if you are "not getting battery voltage at the coil, check the ASD relay." Not that I am doubting you, but are you positive you checked for power at the ASD relay from the correct pin?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As to your ASD relay and the fact that you are getting 0.3 volts at the coil I would think that the 0.3 volts would have to be leaking through the ASD relay I guess as there should be no other route for it to arrive there?

With power to the fuel pump but no operation could a ground be disconnected somewhere?
I've also written in my notes that "if the PCM senses no signal from the crank or cam position sensors it will deenergise the ASD relay AND the fuel pump relay. However, I do realize that you have stated that you checked and you are getting power to the fuel pump.

Haynes says that if you are "not getting battery voltage at the coil, check the ASD relay." Not that I am doubting you, but are you positive you checked for power at the ASD relay from the correct pin?
Its a new asd relay all my grounds are hooked and new ground wires I checked all the pins and nothing. the fuel pump relay always has power I've got 12.27 v at the fuel pump relay and it was .333 milli volts at the coil. how do I Find out if its being smashed by another module and I got no power to the cam shaft sensor and no ohms reading either

·
Registered
2003 RT (5.9)
329 Posts
Getting back to the ASD relay real quickly, you probably know this but I'll mention it anyway, that after you turn the key on the ASD relay will be energized by the PCM for ONLY 2 seconds UNLESS the PCM gets a signal from the crank (and I think the cam) position sensors.

(So if thosr two sensors were functioning correctly, when you cranked the engine they would send a signal to the PCM.)

So where I was going with that was are you checking for volts at the coil within that first 2 seconds after turning the key on?

·
Registered
2003 RT (5.9)
329 Posts
. . . because if you are checking for voltage at the coil within two seconds of turning the key to run and you are only getting 0.3 vdc, wouldn't it seem as if it was your PCM that is not energizing the ASD relay?

Making me think that either the PCM is malfunctioing or there is an issue in the circuitry from the Can and/or crank position sensors to the PCM?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
. . . because if you are checking for voltage at the coil within two seconds of turning the key to run and you are only getting 0.3 vdc, wouldn't it seem as if it was your PCM that is not energizing the ASD relay?

Making me think that either the PCM is malfunctioing or there is an issue in the circuitry from the Can and/or crank position sensors to the PCM?
Could it be the ignition switch when I turn the key there is a catch when I turn it past the little catch my gear indicator light goes off and it doesn't show what gear its in

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Could it be the ignition switch when I turn the key there is a catch when I turn it past the little catch my gear indicator light goes off and it doesn't show what gear its in
I'm not sure yet but I think I might be getting negative readings where I should have pos. Readings is that possible

1 - 20 of 33 Posts