Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a r/t and i am going to redo the exhaust. I am goin to get a custom bent one done at a local shop, but i want it to be a true dual, out the side, similar to the gs motorsports one. My question is, what will happen if I do not run cats, just straight pipes, with mufflers?

·
Home Owner....
2,565 Posts
well, if ya run no cats you could have issues with your states SMOG laws, if ya have any.

you will also run a bit richer as your O2 sensors have a say in your air/fuel mix. not so much on the 98/99`s as the later ones. you front two sensors are the fuel management ones and the last two are cat efficiency. tie the last O2 sensor to the frame rail and be sure the other three are installed on the pipes, roughly the same location.

you can get a couple Catco (or similar) cats for each side. not that much more, just in case you run into the local SMOG Nazis.

better to run cats, your truck will run MUCH better. several R/T club guys have dyno runs to prove it.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
ya know i have tinkered with my exhaust a few times. i have yet to see a cat on my 04 qc.

·
Home Owner....
2,565 Posts
suffolk_mopar said:
ya know i have tinkered with my exhaust a few times. i have yet to see a cat on my 04 qc.

up around the engine area, there *should* be one on each down pipe before the O2 sensors, and maybe one in the area of the tranny tail shaft, in between two O2 sensors, before the muffler.

one question, did ya by it used? someone could have yanked them.

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
well the 3.7 is set up like the 4.7 and i have to cats they are round and right off the exhaust manifolds before the Y-pipe. your should be there as well.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
alrighty, guess i just never paid that much attention that far up. are they welded on or clamped? might have to see bout getting some hi-flo cats then.

·
Home Owner....
2,565 Posts
suffolk_mopar said:
alrighty, guess i just never paid that much attention that far up. are they welded on or clamped? might have to see bout getting some hi-flo cats then.
most likely welded. no leaks that way and a detererent to removing them.

your cats now are as high flow as the after market ones. only time you will need diff ones are if they clog up, start becoming inefficient or you go bigger pipe size.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts