Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few questions about nitrous oxide. I don't know much about it and I would like to learn some. But if I was to purchase like a Nitrous Express Kit, would I need to buy anything else? Or would I just mount the bottle, run the tubes/wires, and just plug them in? I also heard you can blow up your engine by using it.....is that true?

And last, I heard that by using nitrous oxide, it takes the life of your engine down. Is that true? Thanks,

-Matt

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
I bought a Nitrous Express kit and it had everything i needed to install it, but dont forget to buy new spark plugs. But recently bought a purge and bottle heater. Nitrous from what i hear does take away life of your engine. I run a 100 shot on my engine and it works fine havent had any problems.

·
Premium Member
12,185 Posts
fatmat789 said:
I have a few questions about nitrous oxide. I don't know much about it and I would like to learn some. But if I was to purchase like a Nitrous Express Kit, would I need to buy anything else? Or would I just mount the bottle, run the tubes/wires, and just plug them in? I also heard you can blow up your engine by using it.....is that true?

And last, I heard that by using nitrous oxide, it takes the life of your engine down. Is that true? Thanks,

-Matt
Anybody who runs N2O in their vehicle should run colder plugs such as the Autolite 3922 (2 steps colder than stock) or 3923 (1 step colder) series. You should also run higher octane fuel to prevent detonation whenever possible (I run 100 octane pump gas at the track). If you are going to use bigger shots such as 100/125/150 in your R/T (especially with an upgraded PCM) it's recommended that you pull a couple of degrees of timing with some sort of ignition device - the MSD Digital 6+ comes highly recommended.

The NX Gen X kit will help you go a bit faster by providing a bottle heater to keep the pressure in the tank up where it should be and a purge solenoid so you're injecting the denser liquid stuff instead of heated gas. Not required for operation.

Otherwise the base NX kit for Dodge EFI vehicles will include everything you need to get started except the liquid N2O - you'll need to get that filled at a local speed shop.

·
234 RWHP and 296 RWTQ!
1,632 Posts
Yes, when used properly nitrous will have no ill effects on your engine........

I use the following guidelines for Nitrous use

(1) KEEP BOTTLE PRESSURE AT 950 PSI

(2) USE SPARK PLUGS 1-2 HEAT RANGES COOLER, AUTOLITE
##S 3923 AND 3922 AS SUGGESTED BY STEVE ARE EXCELLENT.

(3) MAKE CERTAIN THAT THE ENGINE GETS ENOUGH FUEL, and use the proper octane level, 94-100 should be fine depending on
the kits power level.

(4) Monitor ignition timing. retard timing by 2 degrees for every
50 hp, if used with a supercharger or a high hp kit is used, a
timing retard device such as a MSD 6A BTM IS RECOMMENDED.

I use a Superchips Race ICON with a custom program for my Timing control.

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
im thinking of getting NOS, how would a "universal nos kit, 4 and 6 cylinder wet system" from Jegs work? its adjustable from 35-75 horsepower, would a 50 shot be enough to notice/give me a substantial increase in speed?

·
234 RWHP and 296 RWTQ!
1,632 Posts
I'd use NOS's or NX Nitrous Express kit built for the v8 magnum tuned to the lowest setting..........to test and tune it......it's calibrated to the engine design.

I'd also install the Holley IN-TANK 255LPH pump........and install
APS Precision Billet Belly pan kit and Steel shim gasket from
Mopar parts...

·
Registered
72 Posts
n2o

if you have a 318 the computer it will compensate for a lean condition, TO A POINT, which is nice for beginners. cold plugs are the key. PERSONALLY i like upwards of 1350 bottle pressure, it hits like a mofo!!!! must have n20 experence to play like this, WILL GERNADE MOTOR IF NOT RICH ENOUGH!!

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
ive got a 2.5l 98 dak, and i know nothing about nos, all i know is u press a lil button it injects liquid into the tanks, thins the mixture and boosts the rpm's, lol, so, will this make my truck haul,lol, and whaty system should i go with, also how much does it cost to refill a tank, and finaly, should i heat the tank?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts