Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· 5 NINE DAK
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was really considering of throwin some nitrous in the truck or a s/c..thing is i have 104K miles on it but it runs likes its brand new, no leaks, nothing seems wrong at all...let me know wut u guys think..

· Premium Member
104 Posts
This is nothing but opinion, but...

If I were going to put the time and energy into a forced induction setup, I wouldn't leave my self open to any potential PREVENTABLE breakdown. Adding more stress to a 6 year old, 104K mile engine seems like asking for trouble. I'm not saying that it couldn't handle it for even another 50k miles, but if the extra stress makes a minimal problem (-1 psi in oil press, cooling passage blockage, slight blowby under normal compression, etc.) into a MAJOR problem, you'll be spending the extra $ sooner. I think it would be worth the risk it on a 25-50k mile engine, but assuming you even have only used up 2/3 of the engine. That last 1/3 is going to wear out a lot quicker.

You don't necessarily have to tear down the motor, but at least check out some of the indicators - compression test, maybe check the bearings, (I'm not a mechanic, so I wouldn't know what to check for sure). Of course, as long as you're in there, it might be better to replace some things, but you wouldn't have to.

Look at it as cheap insurance for when you mash the pedal. You'll know that the motor is up to it.

· Chest Thumper
770 Posts
def do a compression check and go from there. i have seen rt's with 130+K on the clock eatting up a 150 shot all day long. if i were in ur spot i would change the headgaskets....felpro's and then put on which ever u can afford. nitrous is god like tho, makes real good power esp if ur just lookin for power when ur at the track. my v6 had 90k on it and it saw alot of nitrous. went threw about 10 bottles mostly on a 100 shot...now its time for a supercharger @ 10lbs

· Scared? We're all scared
86 Posts
It's all a matter of preference, and depends on what you want to do with it. Also, it depends on if this is your daily driver. If you're looking for everyday power at a minimal cost, then go with the supercharger. Initially, the cost is there, but then you don't have to worry about having to fill up a tank when you run out, and the power is always there. If you only want the power every now and then, then the nitrous is good. Instant power, and on demand. Personally, I wouldn't put nitrous on an engine, but that is just me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.