Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to get a Flowmaster Super 40 muffler but I am slightly confused about something.

The stock exhaust size is 2.5" but when I go to the flowmaster website it only suggests mufflers that are 3" in and out for my durango...Wouldn't I want a muffler with a 2.5" diameter in & out?

For instance. Wouldn't this work and be an easier install instead of adapting to a 3" in & out?
If this is a stupid question I still would appreciate some constructive criticism :hammer:

·
Registered
406 Posts
I'm going to get a Flowmaster Super 40 muffler but I am slightly confused about something.

The stock exhaust size is 2.5" but when I go to the flowmaster website it only suggests mufflers that are 3" in and out for my durango...Wouldn't I want a muffler with a 2.5" diameter in & out?

For instance. Wouldn't this work and be an easier install instead of adapting to a 3" in & out?
If this is a stupid question I still would appreciate some constructive criticism :hammer:
If you want to just replace the oem muffler for the flowmaster, get the 2.5" in/out. Its easy to have a shop flare the pipe to make the 3" muffler work but it won't do you anygood unless you're changing the tailpipe. PS, prepare to have a substantial amount if drone with that muffler, you should add a resonator after it to keep it nice on the hwy. goodluck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
See, I had heard that the original series 40 would drone a lot and that the super 40 w/ delta flow was much better. I dont mind moderate drone anyways. My last vehicle was a Ford Excursion with a straight piped 6.0L diesel...I think I can handle whatever drone this thing throws at me lol

But anyways, even though that isn't the recommended one for my 05, because it's a 2.5" it would be the best choice correct?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will be eventually but no time soon. And when I do end up going for performance, I'm going to get a whole cat back system, but that's just to expensive right now. All I want right now is something that sounds good. So for a while I'm just sticking with the stock pipe and aftermarket muffler.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yea I hate the Flowmaster drone. I'm thing of going Magnaflow.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yea I hate the Flowmaster drone. I'm thinking of going Magnaflow.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
The 40s do drone but it's bearable for the most part. Then again I don't have cats and I don't daily drive mine either.

·
Premium Member
17,622 Posts
You said you wanted something that sounds good and yet you are talking about putting a flowmaster muffler on your truck? That is a contradiction.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The louder the better. Magnaflows sound good but flowmaster is so much better...

·
Premium Member
17,622 Posts
There's more to good sound than just loud. if all you wanted was noise coming out the tailpipe then don't put a muffler on it at all. that will be loud just like you want. flowmasters sound to metallic.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nah. The delta flow flowmasters are much better than the older original series. I know I could straight pipe but I don't want to.

·
Premium Member
17,622 Posts
you do know flowmasters have been proven to actually hurt performance by more than one test of different mufflers?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As I stated in one of my first replies, I'm not going for straight up performance. When I want performance I'll get a whole catback system...right now I'm looking for an aggressive sound without spending $500 on a system. Flowmasters are some of the best sounding and are relatively cheap compared to others.

I appreciate your input but I didn't come here asking which brands best and what one to buy, I just needed to know dimensions that's all. I already know I'm 99% sure I'm going to buy a super 40 delta flow.

Also I will look up aeroturbine. The name sounds very itriguing :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Did you look up it? wait I'll do it for you! I was a flowmaster guy till i heard aeroturbine. Its the sex lol

Drive by vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGdA8jNCres

Standing exhaust/ In cab vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvsgo2HEG00

I love this muffler!
IT sounds good. I like it. Little more pricy than I'd like at about $125 and It's only sold in 3" in & out. I'd rather get a muffler with 2.5" in and out to match the stock pipe easier. But it's definitely something I would consider.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
go on the website, they have sizes from 2 inches to 5 inches. but it is stainless steel.
I couldnt even find their website. All I could find were external companies selling 3" ones

1 - 20 of 26 Posts