Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Texas
207 Posts
DurangoDudeNJ said:
Got my first gander at my re-done 2001 Viper seats and they look amazing!! The color match is perfect in comparison to the factory skins. Will be picking them up next week and I'll post pics. :D
no pics? where did you have the done at? :drool: viper seats, i only whish i had the money to get some.

·
Premium Member
12,185 Posts
How much did the re-cover cost? I've been tempted to have my Viper seats re-done but the one quote I got online was $2000 - OUCH!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Are the Viper seats a direct replacment in Daks or do they need fab work done???

·
Registered
826 Posts
$1400 just recover them right
Then you had to Find a set

Did you get a Set in Rough condition to keep the Total cost down??

RICK

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Exactly. That cost was just the labor/fabric. The seats themselves were $1150 on eBay. Surprisingly when I got them they were in really good condition. No new foam was needed to build them up. They guys at the shop guess they were only originally used a few times upon seeing how good the internals were.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here's the pics! :D

I opted to go with factory R/T emblems as opposed to embroidery. Got the idea from some of the cars Chip Foose has done on Overhaulin'.

Enjoy! :D

Attachments

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Let see them installed! Nice man, real nice. I wish I had that kind of loot and an understanding wife!

·
Premium Member
12,185 Posts
DurangoDudeNJ said:
Hey Sin, do you know or recall if the bolts on the factory seat tracks line up with the holes on the bottom of the Viper seat frames? Or, do new holes need to be drilled?
The holes appeared to line up, but you can't connect them as-is because the Viper seat bolts downward, and the Dakota/Durango seat bolts upward. Another issue that arises is the Viper seat bottom is a lot thinner than the Dakota/Durango seat, so people use 1" square tubing so it raises the seat up a little bit plus it allows the bolts to face in opposite directions for mounting.

·
Registered
277 Posts
got this pic from a guy on delphi boards... i deleted his email write up but you might be able to find him on there or cardomain and get a hold of him if you need more help than the diagram...

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts
The diagram above will get you there with the exception of 4 (per seat) 1/4" spacers that need to be placed between the Dakota rails and the 1" tube stock below the Viper base (see attachment). These are needed on my 2001 because the top of the Dakota rail is not flat but may or may not be needed on other year Dakotas.

The overall install process was actually a lot easier then I thought it would be.

Now would be a great time for anyone thinking about adding Viper seats as there are currently 4 or 5 pairs on eBay.

Attachments

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok folks, had a chance today to really dig in to mounting these suckers to the factory frames.

First off..... because my D has power seats, everything I've read about how to mount these went right out the window. The track is totally different and so are the position of the holes. Not to mention that two of the front screws are in a very tight area so it was a little tricky getting them loose.

After removing four small set screws allowing the track to slide back 'n forth with no power, I was able to remove the track from the stock seat. I noticed that there were two mounting ears at the rear of the frame that would be in the way of the new seats. There's no way they could be utilzed so I needed to cut them off. (Thank god for the man who invented the reciprocating saw!!). The next step was to drill holes in the 1" square steel tubing that would line up with the mounting points on the stock rails. Once this was accomplished, I dissassembled them and drilled mounting holes to attach the tubing to the bottom of the Viper seats. I also needed to use thick spacers (pics of these coming) to raise the seat up a little more to clear the adjustment motors.

The bonus here is that I was able to use many of the original bolts but I did purchase extra grade 8's.

I attached the square tube to the bottom of the new seat with a C-clamp, drilled new holes and bolted them on. I made sure to drill the holes large enough so I could use one side of the tube as an access point for the torx bit needed to tighten them down. Gotta tell ya, with three bolts on each side it's super solid!! Now all I need to do is reattach the frame to my pre-drilled holes and I'm good to go for install (or at least a test fit) on at least the passenger side, (didn't have the time to get to the drivers).

So there's an update so far. Will be working on the completion of everything over the next couple of nights and hopefully get everything in by Friday if not sooner. Granted this has been a little challenging, but now that the passenger seat is almost done the next one should be a breeze.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts