Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:help:

Hi, I've been lurking on the board for a while. I own an '04 Dakota SLT+ QC 4x4 (4.7, auto, anti-spin, tow pkg, Infinity, leather). I've upgraded the stereo with a Kenwood unit that feeds from my iPod, and an amplified MTX ThunderForm sub (stock amp and speakers). I have the mobile video pieces (DVD player, flip down LCD, and wireless headphones) sitting in boxes waiting to be installed. I've also added a Realtruck.com rollup tonneau cover (great deal), Westin steps, and had Line-X sprayed in the bed.

I bounce in the forum every time I have a weird problem with the truck to find that most of you have had it as well. I've been reading up on lifting the Dakota lately and have gotten a bit confused. I've decided the Rancho lift w/brake conversion is too pricey for me considering I just want it a bit higher and don't plan on off roading.

Please help me understand the differences between cranking up the stock torsion bar keys and installing new ones that claim to raise the truck 2”? If they both raise the truck the same amount, what is the benefit to buying new keys?

I don't have a firm grasp on torsion bar technology. I have never driven a lifted truck nor have I grown up around the terminology. I am mechanically inclined and am confident I could handle the steps involved in either lift method.

I imagine having the stock keys turned to two inches probably has “something” maxed out. Weather it's the brackets, the adjusting bolts, or the keys themselves, right? That would explain everyone's comments about the stiff ride. Is this why they would sell a set of reindexed keys? I imagine it would allow you to run the same tension on the bolts and brackets with the torsion bar itself just being turned to the higher ride height.

Here are a couple links for pieces I have been considering.
Truckin Suspensions (KEY-X-DK97-3)- http://www.truckn-store.com/product.asp?returnURL=default.asp&ID=93386

eBay seller (may be same piece as above) - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8026895081

Awesome write up on cranking stock torsion keys (great work by a fellow dakota-durango member that needs to be linked often) - http://dakota.thefertigs.com/lift.html

Thanks!

·
Mike
839 Posts
Just crank the stock ones...mine are maxed out, and my truck doesn't ride any stiffer in the front vs my dads stock 4x4 dakota.

·
Banned
6,056 Posts
In my personal opinion, torsion bar keys do nothing. They only allow you to crank the torsion bars more than you should, thus raising the truck more. The ONLY time you shoud use them is if you maxed out the torsion bars and really need to lift it more. You should get a lot of of maxing them though, so you shouldn't need them...

·
GOTSWAMPERS
394 Posts
yea considering every set of keys ive seen is atleast 100 bucks or more,, and u can get the alingment shop to do it for like 20 bucks, i wouldnt mess with it, mine rides perfectly fine with it.

·
Registered
487 Posts
froggy said:
:help:

Hi, I've been lurking on the board for a while. I own an '04 Dakota SLT+ QC 4x4 (4.7, auto, anti-spin, tow pkg, Infinity, leather). I've upgraded the stereo with a Kenwood unit that feeds from my iPod, and an amplified MTX ThunderForm sub (stock amp and speakers). I have the mobile video pieces (DVD player, flip down LCD, and wireless headphones) sitting in boxes waiting to be installed. I've also added a Realtruck.com rollup tonneau cover (great deal), Westin steps, and had Line-X sprayed in the bed.

I bounce in the forum every time I have a weird problem with the truck to find that most of you have had it as well. I've been reading up on lifting the Dakota lately and have gotten a bit confused. I've decided the Rancho lift w/brake conversion is too pricey for me considering I just want it a bit higher and don't plan on off roading.

Please help me understand the differences between cranking up the stock torsion bar keys and installing new ones that claim to raise the truck 2”? If they both raise the truck the same amount, what is the benefit to buying new keys?

I don't have a firm grasp on torsion bar technology. I have never driven a lifted truck nor have I grown up around the terminology. I am mechanically inclined and am confident I could handle the steps involved in either lift method.

I imagine having the stock keys turned to two inches probably has “something” maxed out. Weather it's the brackets, the adjusting bolts, or the keys themselves, right? That would explain everyone's comments about the stiff ride. Is this why they would sell a set of reindexed keys? I imagine it would allow you to run the same tension on the bolts and brackets with the torsion bar itself just being turned to the higher ride height.

Here are a couple links for pieces I have been considering.
Truckin Suspensions (KEY-X-DK97-3)- http://www.truckn-store.com/product.asp?returnURL=default.asp&ID=93386

eBay seller (may be same piece as above) - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8026895081

Awesome write up on cranking stock torsion keys (great work by a fellow dakota-durango member that needs to be linked often) - http://dakota.thefertigs.com/lift.html

Thanks!
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE REFERENCE TO MY SITE!!! That is what its all about. Helping each other out. :clap2:

Oh and by the way your stock keys should suffice but I was only able to crank 1 inch out of the right one. The left one I could have done 2 or more inches but had to stop to match the right one. I will be buying keys in the future to get 2 inches out of my front end!!! Keys are only neccessary if you cant crank them fully. I am one of those people.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I was considering doing the torsion bar crank in the front on your site dakolorado, but was worried that it was cause my cv shafts to run at a more severe angle causing increased wear. Is this the case, or would I be safe cranking them up? Thanks.

·
Banned
6,056 Posts
I've had my torsion bars cranked up for over a year with no problems. The CV axles are the original ones with 112k miles on them and have been put through a lot of abuse. If they haven't failed now, they're not going to. You shouldn't worry about them.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
There are lots of people on Durango foruns who have been running around 4-5 years after cranking the torsion bars.

·
Registered
487 Posts
zidane said:
I was considering doing the torsion bar crank in the front on your site dakolorado, but was worried that it was cause my cv shafts to run at a more severe angle causing increased wear. Is this the case, or would I be safe cranking them up? Thanks.
Go for it you will not have any issues. Thanks for checking out my site.

·
Mike
839 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.