Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a topper for my truck over the weekend and I want to hook up the brake light. Looking for pointers on how to do it the correct way (not using a scotch/quick connector)

·
The Asian Persuasion
2,644 Posts
Are you planning on keeping the topper installed permanently? Or plan on taking it on and off frequently?

If keeping it installed permanently, I would run the wires to the existing trailer harness on the underside of the bed. I think when I tapped into it (brown wire for just brake lights) it was hidden behind the spare tire.

If you're wanting to take the topper on and off, just add a male/female connector of some sort to the wiring.

EDIT: Found my old post...

It's a white wire with a brownish/orangish stripe on it:

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got it done tonight, found the white wire with the tan stripe above the spare tire for the brake light and used the license platw light power supply for the dome light inside the topper.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My truck topper blocks the cab brake light, so I removed the light, disconnected the plug, covered the hole, got another connector from the scrapyard and ran a wire to my brake light on the topper door top edge. My topper has a flat metal strip along the length of the roof, providing a ground path for the interior lights as well ( switched separately from a battery-fed relay).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts