Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, Hi everyone.

I have a couple of quick questions. I just took possession of a 2005 SLT 4x4 QC 4.7 Auto with about 98000 miles on it. It has the tow package and the heavy duty service package. I was looking at leveling the front end, but I think the front struts are original, so they probably need to be replaced. Instead of a leveling kit, would it be better to get some struts designed for a slightly higher ride height (longer struts/springs)? Any suggestions on that?

Also, the car vibrates pretty bad at about 70mph, as well as under braking. I’m going to get the tires rotated and balanced, but assuming it isn’t that - thoughts? I read somewhere that there is a common cause for that in the rear end of these trucks, but I can’t find what I read.

I have a ticking noise on startup. I assume that's the lifter tick I've read about? If so, is there a particular brand of lifters I should replace with? If the question below is true, I'll be in there swapping cams anyways, so I can swap the lifters (and rockers if necessary) at the same time.

Finally, is it true that the 08+ cams and intake are essentially the same as installing the old HO cams and intake (with a TB adapter) in the 05? I’d like a bit more grunt in this vehicle, but nothing crazy.

Anything else I should look at? It was pretty well maintained. It was my dad’s, and he’s meticulous at following the manufacturer’s maintenance schedule. I did swap plugs and change the oil, and plan to swap all fluids (diff, transfer case, transmission, coolant).

I will be towing my track car with it about once a month ~5klbs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry, I didn't notice that this site has different generation definitions than I'm used to.

·
I hate you people.
2,828 Posts
It's ok, we see this quite often when newbies post here about the generations of the Dakota's. Other sites only list major redesigns as the generation, whereas here the generations are separated by not just major redesigns but also refreshes that significantly changed the exterior, interior, powertrain, etc.
As for your questions,
You could probably get struts that will slightly lift the front end but I can't give you any suggestions. You may have to do some Google searching.
The bad vibration at 70 mph and under braking sounds like a combination of 2 common problems: you have an alignment/tire issue and then it sounds like your brakes are warped. Is it 4 wheel discs or rear drums?
Ignore the ticking noise as that is present on all OHC motors. Unless the ticking stays loud all the time, you shouldn't be concerned as the the ticking is from the lifters lack of oil due to run down after being shut off.
Yes, you can swap in the 08+ cams and intake but you will need adapters for intake manifold and the throttle body adapter as the 08+ went to DBW.
Your dad pretty much took care of the truck right so I wouldn't worry too much about anything else. Just follow the factory service manual recommendations for when you need to change fluids, belts, hoses, etc.
The weight you plan on towing will not be a problem, as long as the final drive ratios of the axles is the 3.92:1, otherwise I wouldn't tow that much often than what you plan.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts