Dakota Durango Forum banner

New to me 2002 Durango 5.9L

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Primus 
#1 ·
Hello. I currently own a 2001 Durango 4.7 which runs like a top. I just picked up a 2002 Durango 5.9 4x4/AWD that won't start. Got it for a song. I'm trying to figure out why it won't start and I think it's PCM related but I have two questions:

1. I noticed the truck didn't come with the grey sentry key (like my 2001 has). My understanding is that all 2001, 2002 & 2003 Durangos have the sentry key system. Can anyone confirm or deny that statement? I'm pretty sure it needs the sentry key before I go too much further.

2. When I turn on the ignition, there's no Security light or Trans Temp light that lights up. When I turn on the ignition on my 2001 4.7, I see several more warning lights light up initially before I start the truck. Is it possible this one doesn't have the Security feature or a Trans cooler (and therefore no trans temp light)??

Any assistance you guys/gals can offer would be greatly appreciated!

#2 ·
1st, the Sentry key system was still optional on the Dakota/Durango until 04/05 when both had their redesigns. My 03 doesn't have the Sentry key system but my 03 Neon did.
2nd, those lights may have been disabled by pulling the bulb, as the Dakota/Durango instrument clusters did not go full LED until 04/05. My instrument cluster lights up all the warning and indicator lights as part of the start up test it does every time. If one or more of these are not lighting up, then you will have to pull the dash and then the instrument cluster to find which bulbs are missing/burnt out.
All automatic transmission equipped vehicles, no more the manufacturer, has a trans cooler no matter what. Transmission fluid does not like to get hot often and hot trans fluid causes more slippage than if it was cooled by a cooler.
Now, as for the no start issue, don't condemn the PCM just yet.
First, find out if you have spark and fuel. If either one is not present, start looking at these from the rear of the vehicle forward: fuel pump assembly, spark plugs, coil, spark plug wires, IAC, TPS, crankcase position sensor, camshaft position sensor, and then finally the connections to everything listed as well as the PCM.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.