Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, just bought an 03 Dakota with a 3.9, 110k on it for 3500.
honestly I was not looking for a dodge but....
its a great looking truck, pretty good ride and drives nice. it does slow me down from driving the 930.
I did some research and note most of the issues with them before buying it, and I have a few.

1 exhaust leak on passengers side.
my big concern is if the stud breaks at the head and I have to pull the head. not too big deal as I know its an option if I get into it.
so whats the verdict on is it worth it to try to fix it?

2 differential seal leaking.

3 knocking or tick sound mainly when off the gas around 2k. it will do it if I hold the RPM around 2k, but it does not seem as bad. I hear it better in the cab than I do at the engine. thinking a lifter? may replace them since I hear the intake gasket is an issue although I don't show signs of it yet. timing chain noise is possible although I have listened with a stethoscope and have not located the noise.

4 cant get the plugs out. rust seems to have collected down in the heat shields and I have not been able to get a socket on the plugs.

5 needs shocks. front end is kind of floaty over bumps. have not checked the upper ball joint but it does not seem bad driving.

6 noticing a grinding from the rear when accelerating from a stop and turning. I think it does have the LSD. little worried the PO did not put the correct oil in it or it may be low.

7 it does have some rust on it, what shame they seem to rust so bad. I have had my mazda truck since 95 and the body still looks good as far as rust goes. I really would like to keep this one for 25 years like the mazda but I don't think it will last body wise, also makes me leary about putting too much into it as I could sell it now and make some $$ on it.
I have put some ospho on some of the rust. planning on hitting the underside this weekend. I do have a spot on the hood that has bubbled up that is a little bit bigger than a quarter. I hate to let it rust through. I may have to take care of that too.

planning on going through it better this week end. may look at fixing that exhaust leak. I already pulled a valve cover and the top end looks good as far as no gunk. I still ran some engine cleaner through it about 2 weeks ago and changed the oil, going to change it again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
forgot.

8 may have a bad front wheel bearing. with a slight turn to the right I feel/hear a slight grinding of what feels like a bearing.

9 no control of AC vents. air blows out all vents. not a problem. I don't mind.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts