Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to purchase new tires soon for my Durango. I am really unhappy with the stock Goodyear tires that came with it new. They are noisy, the ride is rough and when the pavement is wet the traction sucks. I am looking for a tire with more comfort less noise and more of a car feel than a truck. Any input would be appreaciated.

·
Speed Freak
269 Posts
My dad had a 99 durango and when the tires went he replaced them with cooper discoverer A/T's. When i drove it they were way quiterer than the stock wranglers. They also have better wear too.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Adam, do you have a photo showing your tires?

Ijust got some 17" wheels and am trying to figure out what tires/size to run. I know the stock R/T size is 255/55/17, but this is a full 1.5" shorter than the stock Sport 245/70/16.

I'm leaning towards something like a 255/60/17 ...

·
Premium Member
9,131 Posts
haring said:
Adam, do you have a photo showing your tires?

Ijust got some 17" wheels and am trying to figure out what tires/size to run. I know the stock R/T size is 255/55/17, but this is a full 1.5" shorter than the stock Sport 245/70/16.

I'm leaning towards something like a 255/60/17 ...

Yes what's your email addy and I'll send it to you today or this weekend!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Adam, I sent you a PM.

I'm overwhelmed by too many choices on tires and sizes. My tire guy doesn't have any 17" in stock, so I have to give him specific ones to order.

I was simply going to get BFG Scorchers (black), but they are on backorder from BFG.

L

·
0 Posts
yo all those are good choices. i had nittos and went to the BFG Comp TA's 255/50 r17 and they hook up nice. wet traction is so-so but i could tell a huge difference in my overall traction problem.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I plan on goin with a set of the BFG drag radials soon. :D 3,000+ rpm launches here I come :woot:

·
Registered
42 Posts
I ended up getting BFG Comp T/A 255/60/17 tires. I ordered them from TireRack because they were on clearance. I had my tire guy mount them up on Saturday.

I'll post some pictures once I have a chance to install the Hotchkis springs. :)

I

·
0 Posts
I suggest the Yokohama Geolandar A/T Plus II.. I have them on my 1999 Durango and they are great. They have an awesome rating on www.tirerack.com and I give them a 9 out of 10.. VERY meaty A/T.. Look almost full off-road but without the drawbacks.. These tires are quite, less road noise then the stock tires thats for sure but with a more aggressive look.

The only down side I would say is that with such deep tread you can feel a little sway in the truck but very little.

Read the reviews, everyone says the same thing about the look. They are very aggressive A/T tire and the photos do them no justise..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts