Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 quad cab, 2wd, 4.7 SLT. It only has 65,000 miles on it, but the ride is very jittery, feels uncontrolled. By comparison, my old 2007 quad cab, with 271,000 miles, and the original shocks, still rode solid (it had all the factory heavy duty tow package). I think the suspension is a different design between the 2 trucks, and frankly I liked the old style better. What options do I have for good shocks. Not going offroading, except the occasional dirt road.
Thanks.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I put on new shocks about 10k miles ago. KYB Monomax is what I eventually decided with. I love the shock and it does exactly what I want it to do. My other choice was going to be Bilstein. I haven't had experience with this shock but I know a lot of people really like this choice as well. Mine is 4x4 so that's why I went with KYB. I do a little bit of offroading but nothing major. It was a little over $200 for all 4 from rockauto and $50 for a shop to put them on. If I recall the bilstein was a little more expensive per shock, but offers a superior ride quality for a truck. Searching on this forum you will find tons of reviews of each and see which fits your needs the most.

Hope this helps,

Eli

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have ran Bilstiens on my last couple of cars and keep going back to them. I've never had any problems and the ride has always improved after installing them. I also have a 4x4, but have had them on some older Mercedes. Smooth and firm when you want it, strong when you need it. I got them cheapest off of Amazon when I bought them last time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My monroe front quick struts failed (noisy, poor control) after 50k. Rock Auto suggested FCS. Will be installing shortly.

·
Registered
156 Posts
We were having similar ride control problems with our 4wd V8 Dakota. Including a weird rear shudder vibration that would come and go randomly at highway speed. I put Rancho RS5000 in all four corners. All problems are gone and the ride is awesome.

At a glance it is tempting to look at Dakota as a little truck, but with the V8 and actual size of it, it really is a 1500 truck. Look for and put real truck parts on it and you’ll be happy. Put Monroes on the Prius. Put the Rancho on your truck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts