Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
Just joined in, great forum, hope to exchange good info here.

I own a 2000 5.2 RT assembled in Brazil where I live now, my question would be, may i switch to 100% synthetic oil without damaging the engine, my truck has 50,000 mi on it and the 5W30 is the only option available here... thanks for any advice.

DLJ

Attachments

·
1 Timothy 6:6-16
395 Posts
I just got my Rango and this was one of the first things I searched out. I have seen alot of guys here and on other sites using 5w30 full synthetic with out issue. I will be switching when I get my Rango on the road. Welcome aboard.

·
9,489 Posts
That's not an R/T. Welcome.
Yeah it is.. The South American R/T's had 5.2's. ;)

DLJ - there's absolutely nothing wrong with switching to full syn. However, depending on how well cared for (to be more specific if it was neglected) your truck was, you may find small leaks soon after the switch. This is a side effect of the synthetic cleaning out all the built up dino gunk that may have been plugging small leaks in the gaskets/seals. Its not really anything to worry about as long as you monitor the oil level regularly.

·
American Rebel.
13,460 Posts
Very nice and rare. Clean :D

·
DAMN
2,166 Posts
Yeah it is.. The South American R/T's had 5.2's. ;)

DLJ - there's absolutely nothing wrong with switching to full syn. However, depending on how well cared for (to be more specific if it was neglected) your truck was, you may find small leaks soon after the switch. This is a side effect of the synthetic cleaning out all the built up dino gunk that may have been plugging small leaks in the gaskets/seals. Its not really anything to worry about as long as you monitor the oil level regularly.
Didn't know that... Doesn't looks like it has any features of and RT other than a decal.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys for the info, actually I bought that 2000 5.2 "RT" a month ago after a 3 year search for a good condition truck down here in Brazil, paid U$ 20,000 for it and do not regret, this truck was sold in Brazil only from 1999 through 2001 and most are in real bad conditions.
I have had a 3.9 dakota for 4 years in the past and simply loved the car, sold it bc of fuel consumpion 3 years ago and had to get another one, this time a 5.2.
Found out my truck has full synthetic already, I am just concerned about viscosity and leaking not just to outside the engine but perhaps getting the plugs dirty or some like that...
I will now change the oil and cheack oil consumption...
Now what is a real 2nd generation RT???
Thanks for the reception!
Cheers

·
Ghetto Bomber
300 Posts
Thanks guys for the info, actually I bought that 2000 5.2 "RT" a month ago after a 3 year search for a good condition truck down here in Brazil, paid U$ 20,000 for it and do not regret, this truck was sold in Brazil only from 1999 through 2001 and most are in real bad conditions.
I have had a 3.9 dakota for 4 years in the past and simply loved the car, sold it bc of fuel consumpion 3 years ago and had to get another one, this time a 5.2.
Found out my truck has full synthetic already, I am just concerned about viscosity and leaking not just to outside the engine but perhaps getting the plugs dirty or some like that...
I will now change the oil and cheack oil consumption...
Now what is a real 2nd generation RT???
Thanks for the reception!
Cheers
If it's got synthetic in it now, stick with it. If you were gonna have any leakage issues, you'd have noticed by now. I think the 5.2/5.9 wants 10W/30 though, so use that if you can find it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts