Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well tonight on the way home my brake line blew...it rubbed against the spindle and wore a hole in the rubber line.

I ordered new lines and I figure while Im changing the lines and bleeding the fluid out I might as well change the pads. What do you guys recommend?

oh and the truck is an 02 quad cab with a 4.7 and I tow so stopping power would be nice :mullet:

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Depends on your year/model truck. Check out http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/61A3671A0A0.aspxx. You might be able to find a cheaper price, but you'll at least get the part number to search for. Good luck...
Yup dont make it for the Dakota :rant:

None the less Ill get the Autozone replacements as I need my truck back up and running (its my DD).

Im going to run the stock rotors as is and throw a new set of pads in a change bleed the fluid and call it a day :mullet:

·
Resident Craigslist Whore
3,230 Posts
go with some nice ceramic pads, about $50 bucks. they're quiet, good braking ability, and they wont leave nasty dust all over your front rims. as for lines, ive never had a problem with oem replacement lines.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
go with some nice ceramic pads, about $50 bucks. they're quiet, good braking ability, and they wont leave nasty dust all over your front rims. as for lines, ive never had a problem with oem replacement lines.
Sounds good. There are some grooves in the rotors...turn em or replace em?

·
The Anti-RUB
1,752 Posts
Depends on how deep the grooves are. Slight grooves are normal and are nothing to be worried about. Deep grooves are a problem. Your local brake shop should be able to tell you if they are too deep for turning or not. If they are too deep, only then should you consider replacing them. Good luck...

·
Banned
25,820 Posts
Ceramic is great! $50 each for stainless lines at AIM

Groves don't matter, warp, and thickness does.

·
The Anti-RUB
1,752 Posts
Groves don't matter, warp, and thickness does.
Deep grooves do matter, especially when installing new brake pads. The grooves will be areas of the rotor that the brake pads won't make contact with, which can seriously hinder your braking power. It also makes the pads wear quicker due to all the force from the calipers being applied to a smaller surface area on the pads.

Its not a big deal with small grooves because the brake pads will conform to the grooves within a couple miles or so. But it is an issue with deep grooves.

If the grooves are too deep, turning them would result in the rotor being too thin and not able to dissipate heat properly and can even lead to the rotors warping or cracking. Your local brake shop can tell you if they are too deep or not.

·
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.
10,424 Posts
I'm running Hawk LTS pads. They've got plenty of emergency stopping power...I can actually lock the fronts now on dry pavement (32" MT's)

·
Banned
25,820 Posts
Deep groves are kind of obvious.

You don't have ABS Caulk?

·
3,230 Posts
it depends. some shops, like my local one, will turn them for $10 a piece. other places, like a napa store in buffalo i went to recently, said they would turn mine for $20 each on my 2002. then the guy found out new rotors were $28 a piece, and their brake machine was old and a PITA to use, so he just sold me the new rotors at cost, $21 each, so they didnt have to mess with their machine. you may as well get them turned as long as there is no rust pits or deep grooves, its cheap enough.

·
Don't be "That Guy"
7,400 Posts
is it no longer "standard" to turn rotors and drums when replacing pads and shoes?!?!

sure it might be "ok" but for $12 a rotor, why would you not want to get them turned? it takes out any warp they may have developed, it removes any hard/glazed spots created from any panic stops, and pretty much turns your old used rotor into a fresh new one, and gives you a nice flat, straight and true surface for your new pads/shoes to marry themselves to.

when they turn the rotors, they only remove a few thousandths of material off each side, and the rotors are typically thick enough to have them turned 2 or 3 times before they get too thin and need replaced.

·
3,230 Posts
sure it might be "ok" but for $12 a rotor, why would you not want to get them turned? it takes out any warp they may have developed, it removes any hard/glazed spots created from any panic stops, and pretty much turns your old used rotor into a fresh new one, and gives you a nice flat, straight and true surface for your new pads/shoes to marry themselves to.
+1 thats exactly why i do mine every time i replace pads. and on my 04, i developed some pedal pulsation when i was trying to sell it. so instead of someone try and chew me down because of it, i spent the $20 and got them turned. that was the 2nd time they were turned in a little over a year, and they still had plenty of meat. i would definitely not wait until rotors are completely shot to do something about them.

·
3,230 Posts
Yeah, you'll need to replace the line... Good luck...
he will be fine. hes in cali. in ny, as soon as you touch the bleeder on one caliper, you replacin half the brake system because everything else you touch falls apart or strips the corners off.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Already did...The rotors are being turned right now and I have new pad waiting to be installed.

Oh and while I have the rotors off I found out in need to replace my driver side hub :rant:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts