Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
10 Second Club
4,009 Posts
Its been out for a few years. It is the same, better, worse, take your pick then the M1. I am sure you will hear a lot of opinions.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Its been out for a few years. It is the same, better, worse, take your pick then the M1. I am sure you will hear a lot of opinions.
You know I've seen alot of opinions about this intake but honestly not any hard proof about why its either worse or better then the M1. Some respected names say its bad but havnt seen anything to back those claims up..flow numbers, actual dyno results..A/F tests on each cylinder etc etc..

So I with hold judgment on it till I see some solid proof.

·
Banned
9,045 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
If Dave Hughes has built it, you don't want it. It's just an Edelbrock Air Gap intake, meant for a carburetor, that he had Edelbrock cast with injector bosses in it. When he first started trying these, he had the intake all cobbled up with welded on bosses and wanted way to much money for what it was really worth. I don't believe this would be better than a M-1 as it was made for a carb and is a dual plane, not an open plenum where air flow is important for EFI. The other thing is his charts don;t really mean anything, as they weren't even done on the same day. Conditions change and so the results are not worth the paper they are printed on.

·
Registered
386 Posts
BTW, the 4-barrel M1 is also designed for a carb with bosses cast into the manifold and drilled for the EFI applications.

My truck has the Hughes/Eddy intake on it (was on it when I got), and even though I don't have anything to compare to except a stock RT, I think it is a very solid piece. Would I give the asking price for one new, probably not, but I also would have a hard time paying the price of a M1 also.

I have personally not had any dealings with Hughes, but my truck has this intake, and cam and valve springs from Hughes, and they all seem to work well together. My truck pulls alot harder than my dad's RT, even with a blower tune in it, even though it was NA. I have now got my Procharger on, so we shall see how well they will work once I get it all fine tuned.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Gtech results are worthless imho. Real numbers on real machines.

Both Intakes were designed for Carbs and modified for EFI. So thats not a valid reason either as to why the Hughes one is no good.

Seems alot of the problems with the Hughes Intake is personal dealings with Dave Hughes, and not so much his product.

Has there ever been a side by side comparison done with these?

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
both the hughes/eddy and the mopar m-1 are so much the same end result that it ain't funny.price would be the ONLY selling point,period.

·
Registered
707 Posts
From what I recall reading about old school intakes, the dual plane design provides more low end power than the single plane but the single plane provides more high rpm performance that the dual plane.

I called Hughes a while back and was told that the dual plane intake they offer has been tweaked a little for EFI perfomance and that it is not just a carbureted unit cast with injector bosses.

With my M1 2-bbl intake on a stroker with a (perhaps considered small) 52mm TB, 4.56 gears and a 2800 stall, I don't notice any low end torque problems. Depending upon your combination of parts, you might notice a loss of power at low rpms.

·
Resleeves rnaz's borings
9,536 Posts
Gtech results are worthless imho. Real numbers on real machines.

Both Intakes were designed for Carbs and modified for EFI. So thats not a valid reason either as to why the Hughes one is no good.

Seems alot of the problems with the Hughes Intake is personal dealings with Dave Hughes, and not so much his product.

Has there ever been a side by side comparison done with these?
yes. The #1 parrot/partner/reseller KRC.
End result... the Airgap wasnt better than the M1

·
Registered
342 Posts

·
R/T to the GT!
1,932 Posts
to be fair, the M1 and air gap are an apples and oranges comparison. They are both intake manifolds, but they are a completely different design, much like the kegger is a completely different design, that has it's special purpose.

the M1 is a single plane, the air gap a dual plane, and the kegger, well, is a lightweight boat anchor to most!(seriously, what kind of manifold is the kegger considered?an inverted-cross-tunnel-ram?)

A dual plane generally has a smaller plenum volume, due to having two separate plenums, and longer runners. This results in a manifold that's meant for lower RPM ranges, and is a good performer across most of the powerband. Sure, it's lackluster up top, but it's great for offroaders, daily commuters, and light to light racing.

a single plane generally will have shorter runners than a dual plane, and a larger plenum volume, that lends itself well to higher RPM usage. It will be a little weaker at lower RPMs than a dual plane(this is, of course, assuming the dual plane has signifigantly longer runners than the single plane) but wont run out of juice up top as fast as the dual plane would. Due to the larger plenum size, it will have slightly worse throttle response.

A tunnel ram has the shortest runners, and the largest plenum volume. they are generally quite large with multiple carbs/TBs, quite tall, and are for the most dedicated racers. They are the hardest to tune, due to the extreme plenum volume they typically have terrible throttle response, even more so when carb'ed. You can pretty much forget about a tunnel ram, unless you're Bad425RT and running an R3 block with W-series heads and a sheet metal intake. To my knowledge, no one makes an EFI tunnel ram for our trucks, and I wouldn't want one anyways. Tunnel rams are for extreme RPM situations, where you'd be running a 4000+ RPM stall, and spin to 10,000+ RPMs

there's a couple other common intake designs, but I wont go into them as they aren't very relevant.

Anyways, I know this is all very vague and all, I just had to point out that even if they make the same power, they are not the same animal :p

Also, since manifolds are 'tuned' for a certain RPM range, it's best to coordinate your manifold, headers, and cam so they all work together, so an intake swap, without changing the cam and headers, really wont do that much. Even on a bone stock truck, changing only the manifold is a very unfair comparison, except for the stock manifold, the parts in place are designed to work with it. That's why people have horrible results with the 4bbl M1 on otherwise stock trucks. It just simply isnt designed to work in conjunction with the installed parts.

·
Resleeves rnaz's borings
9,536 Posts
there's a couple other common intake designs, but I wont go into them as they aren't very relevant.

Anyways, I know this is all very vague and all, I just had to point out that even if they make the same power, they are not the same animal :p

Also, since manifolds are 'tuned' for a certain RPM range, it's best to coordinate your manifold, headers, and cam so they all work together, so an intake swap, without changing the cam and headers, really wont do that much. Even on a bone stock truck, changing only the manifold is a very unfair comparison, except for the stock manifold, the parts in place are designed to work with it. That's why people have horrible results with the 4bbl M1 on otherwise stock trucks. It just simply isnt designed to work in conjunction with the installed parts.
The keggar would have been more beneficial if it had been cast in plastic like the LSx manifolds. I suspect in that form there would be no belly pan problems, no heat sink problems, no heavy weight problems...etc.

·
Registered
168 Posts
i have one on my truck i went with it to be differnt and from what i couold find it is sapose to make power at lowerer rpm then the m1 that being said i got myne on but havent had time to take it out and drive it yet. so camt say for sure yet but as soon as i do i will post my personal experiance. o and the fuel rail brackets that come with the hughes are a cobled joke i got a new set of rails that work a lot better if your gonna run one of those hughes airgap i would definetly get a set of these rails.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts