Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be in the process of changing my 4.7 from my 01 Dakota 2 wheel drive automatic. To my Dakota four-wheel drive automatic.so here is my situation. I had an 04 Durango that I was driving .it had some engine issues.and I purchased in 01 Dakota. for a donor vehicle. complete vehicle. runs and drives. the transmission wentout in my Durango. so I figured it's a good time to do the engine swap also. so I told the Dakota apart and I was going to part it out. but before I could install the motor and tranny. it got totaled so now I'm down no trucks I could put the engine back in the Dakota. But I found I know for Dakota with no motor four-wheel drive everything else they're good shape. So what I'm up against when is going to be the best it looks feasible and cheapest way to insert the motor for my 01 Dakota into my 04. I've been a mechanic for all my life ASE certified all that good stuff. I have never really had to to put together years that were different.will not in the computer aged anyway I did a lot like in older Chevrolet is that kind of stuff,I do consider myself knowledgeable and very Hands-On. I don't do Transmissions. I like to specialize in driveability. so I can pretty much handle it and anything that I need to do. I'm just trying to make this easy on myself. and end up with the best of all worlds any help or info on this situation would be much appreciated and thank you and I appreciate you accepting me into the Durango Dakota group .

·
Registered
70 Posts
Swapping a 4.7 from a 2001 truck into a 2004 truck will require the cam tone ring and crank tone rings to be swapped. I believe the 04 has a better intake manifold. That’s about all I know in that regard though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate input thank you very much. I've got the motor in four wheel drive 05 Dakota. More to the 01 you went in the simple enough. I've been voted right up. I had the original mounts off to four wheel drive and a lot of the outer engine bolt on items, so between the old one and 04 I had plenty of options I did change the wiring harness and most of the dash along with it and the computers of course. The wiring harness will not go up to my four-wheel drive transmission obviously. But everything else seem to match up pretty good I might have changed a couple pigtails but that's it. It is up and running I do have a transmission problems of course as I would have figured. Does anyone know if I can get a harness to go add on to my harness from two of the four wheel drive and your one. Obviously I have to get a new TCM also or hopefully a used four wheel drive one. Or is there any way to bypass and manually engage in disengage the four-wheel drive.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts