Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
No Dak, but a Dodge!
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well after much searching, I gave up awhile back, and accidentally came across this site, which I am glad I did. But anyways, I have been contemplating for some time now to build my 88 Mustang up, or sell it and use my 99 Dakota as my fun vehicle. I still have not decided, but thinking of building the Dakota up because there isn't many out there. The only things done to it is flowmasters, and a shaker hood, also a throttle body spacer, I know they are pointless but I have it on there to push the shaker up to be a bit higher up over the hood. It is a 5.2 ltr. It has 172,000 miles on it, but believe me it runs STRONG, my dad owned it since brand new, then I bought it at 150,000 (he drove it across state for work 3-5 times a week). Synthetic oil has been it since new, and doesnt go through a drop between changes. Only problem is the tranny...but what else is new (still original in there)

Do I build this engine up, or buy a crate engine? I have been thinking of getting a hemi from a wrecked ram, with tranny and wiring, can get for less than $6,000. Be nice, but not certain yet. Or I could go carbed, my dad has a 440 sitting in his garage, could build that up really nice, and be much easier to install...but then it is carbed. What do you guys think? Build current engine, crate, hemi, or built carbed?

Attachments

·
Super Modder
981 Posts
sweet looking truck...if i were you, id build up that 440...and when youre done swap it in...i dont know how much work that would be though...and yea there arent that many fast dakotas out there...i need my truck so i play with my stang...slowly working on my truck too though.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Nice Truck.

I’m not sure if the 440 will fit that is a lot of cast to squeeze under the hood of a Dak. The Hemi will be a challenge in it’s self considering that the heads are a lot wider then a 360. Passing the smog test with the 440 will be impossible.

I would look at the Hemi and see what all is involved with installing it in your Dak. Considering that the Hemi sits at around 345 HP and by adding a few go fast parts you can easily push it to 400 HP. Now that would be a nice ride!

:cool:

·
No Dak, but a Dodge!
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the advice and compliments. My dad would probably want something for the 440 (he only paid $600 with tranny for it). Don't have to worry about smog regulations though either in Michigan. I have been leaning towards the hemi myself, supposedly there is supposed to be a "plug-n-play" coming out for it, so you can put it into any vehicle...but havnt seen it yet. I will keep a look out. Thanks again

G

·
since u have the 440 id look into a EFI system for it. Drop it in after taking out the inner wheel fenders and steering shaft. u will have to go with cast exhaust manifold for the room. Smaller valve covers maybe. i dont think u will have to move the firewall but your front crossmember might need to be changed????????
i did a search on GOOGLE for a 440 dakota and nothing came up so it might not work but u know what they say....................

IF U GOT THE CASH, ANYTHING IS POSSABLE.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.