Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i have a 1998 dodge dakota rt 5.9l with a 2wd 46re trans,

well 2nd gear is starting to go. and i need to know if all 46re transmissions will work?

can i take a 4X4 46RE and swap tailshafts and use it?

also what years can i find the 46re in? and what ones will work with my truck?

i wish i could swap and make my truck 4x4 but thats another deal.

any help is greatly appreciated!

i need as much info as possible by monday or tuesday. as this is my only truck and there is one truck i think might have a trans that will work at the junk yard

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also would i have to change out the transmissions output shaft that the driveshaft would slide onto if i use a 4x4 trans in my truck?

because from the google search im seeing it looks like the driveshaft bolts to the trans output shaft instead of sliding onto it, unless the bolt on shaft is slid onto the output???

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I believe that you can use the 4x4 trans however like you said, you'll have to swap overdrive housings. You should be able to use anything between 97 and 01, after that they changed the electrical connector to the valve body.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
trans help

I believe that you can use the 4x4 trans however like you said, you'll have to swap overdrive housings. You should be able to use anything between 97 and 01, after that they changed the electrical connector to the valve body.

alright, will it be a pretty easy thing to do? any seals ill need?

what should i look for in the trans before getting it to make sure its good?

check to see if it has any fluid and its condition?

is the 4x4 tourqe converter different from the 2wd?

and on a side note, gorgeous rt, if you dont mind me asking how much did the paint set you back??

oh also how hard would it be to convert my truck to 4x4? figure i might as well while im in there,

·
9,489 Posts
As for a 4x4 swap, it is seriously not worth the time and money. You would be much better off buying a 4x4 and selling or parting out the one you have.

I don't know how mechanical you are, but you might consider rebuilding the trans you have. Torqueflites are pretty straightforward to overhaul. You just have to work neatly and patiently in a clean area and know how to follow directions.. for the same $500 or so it'll cost you for a junkyard trans of questionable condition, you can have a brand new one if you're willing to invest a weekend..

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
trans help

As for a 4x4 swap, it is seriously not worth the time and money. You would be much better off buying a 4x4 and selling or parting out the one you have.

I don't know how mechanical you are, but you might consider rebuilding the trans you have. Torqueflites are pretty straightforward to overhaul. You just have to work neatly and patiently in a clean area and know how to follow directions.. for the same $500 or so it'll cost you for a junkyard trans of questionable condition, you can have a brand new one if you're willing to invest a weekend..
ok, and i found a junk yard near me that has a trans for my truck and many in 4x4 form, for 125$ with a 35$ core, and they have a 30 day return policy but i know the guys up there pretty well so 30 days is more like 90 days,

only reason im not looking at rebuilding mine is i just dont have the cash,

·
9,489 Posts
Fair enough.. not a bad price and if they let you exchange it if its bad that's good too.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thats what i said, but upon further searching it looks like the output shaft from the 4x4 trans s shorter then the 2wd trans,

so i have a 2wd truck and need a trans, if i get the 4x4 transmission do i have to tear it open anyway to change the output shaft? or is it really as simple as just swapping tail housings?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
but also to add to the not so bad deal, if it comes out to be bad im yet again doing 2x the trans jobs at once, with pulling the trans out of the junk car and putting it in mine,

what a pain, but with how well my 98 R/T runs its worth it lol

and i figure while im in there ill make it work for me, replace the rear main, fix any rust problems it may have (my trucks pretty rust free)
maybe give it an under coating... paint and clean it up under there, just the norm for me lol

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok so i picked up a 42re transmission from a 2001 dakota quad cab, truck was a 2wd, i just want to know if the tourqe converter will boltup and work how it should, or should i chance using my old one?

going to start the swap in the next few days,

also how many qts of atf+4 would fill a dry trans? just want to know cause im changing the filter and gaskets while i have it out to make it easier on me,

·
Registered
360 Posts
Dam, wish I saw this sooner.... I have a 2wd 46RE from my 01' Dakota R/T I would have sold you....worked flawlessly and only has 87k miles on it with a transgo shift kit..... I did a manual tranny swap last winter and it's deff more fun to drive.

I just swapped my fluids and I think it was 5qts.... but I didnt do a flush so I think you may want 6qts.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
So are you sticking the 42re in until you can get the 46 rebuilt or do you plan on running it until it dies? I really don't foresee that little trans living very long behind the 360. I honestly don't know about the converter but it should bolt up.

·
9,489 Posts
^^ This.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
trans

Dam, wish I saw this sooner.... I have a 2wd 46RE from my 01' Dakota R/T I would have sold you....worked flawlessly and only has 87k miles on it with a transgo shift kit..... I did a manual tranny swap last winter and it's deff more fun to drive.

I just swapped my fluids and I think it was 5qts.... but I didnt do a flush so I think you may want 6qts.

well what do you want for your 46re? funny thing is i drove 60 miles in the truck that needs the transmission to pick the new one up and another 60 back lol

1st 3rd 4th and reverse are completely fine, 2nd slips like hell,

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
trans

So are you sticking the 42re in until you can get the 46 rebuilt or do you plan on running it until it dies? I really don't foresee that little trans living very long behind the 360. I honestly don't know about the converter but it should bolt up.
i was planning on just driving it till it dies, then going manual with it or finding a 4x4 46re and swapping it in with the 4x4 front end off a donor truck

or maybe just playing around with a 4x4 46 and making it work for my truck,

but if anyone has 1pc headlights they want to sell or trade with cash from me for a stock setup let me know, im on the hunt

and thanks to everyone for there help

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Better start looking then haha.

·
Registered
360 Posts
well what do you want for your 46re? funny thing is i drove 60 miles in the truck that needs the transmission to pick the new one up and another 60 back lol

1st 3rd 4th and reverse are completely fine, 2nd slips like hell,
Its cool your still able to drive it, If I were you I'd look into adjusting the bands, I have heard that if they aren't adjusted over time it will pretty much act like its slipping...someone correct me if I'm wrong but its worth a try.

I'd sell it for $400 firm..... it's been sitting in my shed out of the elements since last winter. I will include all the sensors and TC, problem for you may be the long drive as It's a bit of a haul from MI. Also, I'm not certain if your TPS will bolt up as I think they are different on 01'+ trucks......

It drove great when it was in my truck, shifts smooth, 10k miles ago it had a new Gov. Pressure sensor replaced, I have always ran chrysler castrol synthetic fluid in it. I haven't tried selling really, just in case someday I make the truck a drag vehicle only I'd get it rebuilt to hold up to serious power but I doubt I'm going to do that now.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Mine did the same thing as his, if the fluid is black it's past the point of adjustment lol. Also the 01+ trucks had a different plug on the valve body.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
now get this after buying a new trans and going 60 miles to get it, mine is shifting perfectly with no slipping thru all gears,

it even broke the tires loose in 2nd gear and sung the ass end out sideways, when before 2nd was 90% slip

should i just try and fill it with fresh fluid and see whats up there? or could it be my tq converter?

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
What's the fluid look like?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts