Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Jay
11,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So on a boosted 4.7 would i be able to up the PSI in the fuel rails or do i have to get new injectors to support a supercharger? I have a whole new fuel system other than the injectors and rails (rails are being made as we speak) and i was hoping i could just up the PSI and use the same injectors. If i do need new injectors which ones do i need?

·
Banned
9,045 Posts
So on a boosted 4.7 would i be able to up the PSI in the fuel rails or do i have to get new injectors to support the blower? I have a whole new fuel system other than the injectors and rails (rails are being made as we speak) and i was hoping i could just up the PSI and use the same injectors. If i do need new injectors which ones do i need?
you could up the psi...but as to how much, not sure...duner may have the answer on that...i believe he did that with his 4.7.

if not i do have some hemi injectors.

·
I drive with two feet
1,616 Posts
I don't know the numbers, but they are found somewhere...

I'm gonna say the stock injectors might not work well or long feeding the increased fuel demands of a turbo'd engine. The injectors are rated for certain fuel flow per hour (21lbs) at 49PSI. Injectors are supposed to be used in applications where their duty cycle is (I think) somewhere capped at 80%. So if that means the injector must run at a higher/longer duty cycle (than what it is intended to run) to deliver enough fuel to keep the turbo tune happy it/they may fail sooner than you'd like. Or they might not even be able to reliably deliver the correct amount of fuel to keep it running right.

I could be all wet concerning the numbers and capacities, but I'll stick by the idea I'm presenting if the stock injectors don't have enough unused capacity to tap into... But someone with actual turbo 4.7 experience and engineering (such as Duner) would be the one(s) to heed. Good luck!

·
Jay
11,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my bad i am doing a SC not turbo.........but either way i will need more fuel. Viperkota, what are the specs of the injectors you have?

·
Registered
160 Posts
When I had a 60-1 and was running 7-8psi on the 4.7, I used an FMU with Ford Motorsport 24# injectors. Fuel pressure shot up around 90 and AFRs were around 12.0 IIRC.

Now I'm running a T-72 with 14psi absolute/15.5-ish psi gauge, I use a standalone and Ford Racing 39# injectors (Cobra bluetops). Base pressure is set to 50 with a 1:1 regulator. So, at that boost level, fuel pressure is approx. 65#, AFRs are 11.5, and duty cycle is 80%. Pretty much maxed out.

·
Banned
9,045 Posts
here is a page that will tell you a little about the mopar injectors....

http://www.bionicdodge.com/bionic/index.php?topic=3027.0

but mine are part number53032713AA they have a purple end cap (towards the spray side) and are 4 pintle i think i actually have 10 or 11 of them...8 are currently on the truck...swapped them in to eliminate injector issues. thought the fuel rial tabs will have to be modified a little because the hemi injectors are shorter. but the computer adjust the AFR in closed loop...havent checked WOT, but in open loop at startup it idles at about 13:1

·
Jay
11,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So when are you getting your new fuel rail for your 4.7?
prob with in a month or two, i have a friend making them and i told him i just need them done in time for when the SC gets mounted. As of now i will be pulling out the motor of my dakota this weekend or next and then ordering new pistons next week. After that i should be ready for install about the middle of next month if all goes well

·
Jay
11,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I had a 60-1 and was running 7-8psi on the 4.7, I used an FMU with Ford Motorsport 24# injectors. Fuel pressure shot up around 90 and AFRs were around 12.0 IIRC.

Now I'm running a T-72 with 14psi absolute/15.5-ish psi gauge, I use a standalone and Ford Racing 39# injectors (Cobra bluetops). Base pressure is set to 50 with a 1:1 regulator. So, at that boost level, fuel pressure is approx. 65#, AFRs are 11.5, and duty cycle is 80%. Pretty much maxed out.
so what would you recommend for about 9psi of boost?

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
If you are going to build the motor you will end up wanting more boost, I would go on ahead and put in bigger injectors (39 or 42lb) while you are in there. I found out the hard way that you have to remove the entire supercharger kit to replace injectors because of the way it covers the rail.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I also run cobra blue top 39# injectors. That is more then enough injector for 9# of boost.

·
Jay
11,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok cool, so do i need 8 or 10 39# injectors? should i reuse the spare two that come with the kenne bell or just remove those and run 8 in the rails that are 39#?

·
Registered
432 Posts
You only need the 8 to replace the stock ones. You will need to plug the holes in the KB or just leave them in and do not connect power/fuel lines to them so they are plugs themselves.

What are you going to use to tune? I hope not the KB stuff.

·
Jay
11,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
You only need the 8 to replace the stock ones. You will need to plug the holes in the KB or just leave them in and do not connect power/fuel lines to them so they are plugs themselves.

What are you going to use to tune? I hope not the KB stuff.
sean owes me a tune from when i got my SCT in the GB a while back. Do you think i could use those ports for meth/water injection? I like the meth kit billy has on his SC 05 dak, but his is going straight into the intake tube if i remember right. I guess two meth injectors would be way over kill so i could plug one, but IDK if i could use the other for meth or not. Not sure if it matters if it gets injected there or if it has to be in the intake tube.

Also are these the right ingectors? or do either of you two have part #'s. And are ford injectors direct bolt in as far as the wiring goes, or will i have to make adapters?

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I ended up spending 80 bucks on adapters for the electronics on mine so they weren't a direct fit. I've been very tempted to look into putting meth on mine in the stock aux fuel injector location but it is extremely tight back there once it is on the truck. You have to pull the supercharger to get back there to hook anything up and that also requires pulling the front support, AC, intake, TB, and alternator so it takes a bit of time.
These are the injectors I used with adapters from summit:
http://www.buyfordracing.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=634
They are very much overkill though, I talked to sean about what would be best for him to tune it and he said 39 or 42lb so I chose the bigger of the two since I don't want to have to upgrade later if I ever go crazy.

Kenne bell said that you can spray meth before or after the supercharger.

If I do meth before it I probably won't use the aux injector location as I want to be able to get to it easier and I pulled all the KB electronics. That and you don't need the typical style fuel injectors for meth, you can use a very small meth one that looks more like a nipple or vacuum port. I would be worried about getting the meth evenly distributed if you sprayed after the supercharger without it plumbed fogger style.

·
Jay
11,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
blown287 did a meth injection mod similar to what your speaking of. Might be worth contacting him. He has a lot more info on the bionic site, sean did his tuning also.
cool i will check that site. I really like his setup, and actually saw it in person a few times. to bad i didnt know then i was going to have a SC this soon :rant: or i would have talked to him about more in depth. Now that i think of it i still have his #, so i might just give him a call to get the details.

·
Jay
11,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I emailed Jay my DIY write up for the project. I can't wait to see how it turns out.
i got it, thanks again for all the info. not sure if you got my email the other day. the part # for the map wasnt working at the dealership. is it just any one from a srt4 neon? 2001 -2004 i think are the years? they quoted me i think $24 for a map from a srt4 but i wasnt sure if its the right one. can you see if there is a part # on yours or get a close up pic of it? My buddy found me a machine shop so the block will be getting bored very soon. all my parts for the intake and fuel system are here so i will send you some pics hopefully monday. oh and the # for the split second wanst coming up with anything send me the link to what i need when ever you get a chance.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts