Dakota Durango Forum banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Banned
1,519 Posts
Any advice installing it? I just put a new one in mine and It was STUPID hard to get a socket on the bolts...dropped some locktite on em and did my best. Ran it at about 50 mph in 4WD high seems fine. Just makes me a little nervous that I did it and not a mechanic.
whats there to be nervous about doing a driveshaft its just 4 bolts on each end worst that happens is you dont put it in tight enough and it comes loose, but i wouldnt locktite it, somone did it to the driveshaft on my dak and it took me almost a hour to get it unbolted from the rear end

·
Registered
72 Posts
That makes sense; mostly me being paranoid. Had all sorts of trouble finding room to tighten the bolts. Was the worst part.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am new and just stumbled on this forum and thread. My shaft is at a shop right now. If he can't figure out how to make me one then I will measure and oder one from the same guy you used.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Only thing I would say about using these guys is that I haven't received my core deposit back yet. (I send them my old drive shaft and they send me $50 for it, bringing the price I paid down from $315 to $265). Granted I havent called them yet because I'm lazy and either way $315 was cheaper than I was quoted for a new one or a fix.

Make sure you take the bolts out of your old drive shaft. I work at a hardware store and the flanges/heads on the bolts we carry were too big to fit into the slots on the drive shaft. My bolts were still in great shape.

Thus far mine has been running great *knock on wood* so I think it worked out well for me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for the info. I called the guy at the shop to send him copies of the pics of the ones you guys have posted. He said he thinks he has it all figured out, that the case flange is the same as a tractors PTO that he has. So I will give him a day or 2 and we will see.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Mine made this lovely grinding sound for about a month before I really figured out what it was and at that point it had started to give me horrible vibrations after 35mph. The CV boot was completely gone on mine and it was just grinding away everywhere I went.

Took it out and ran about 1k miles no problem before I managed to get my hands on a remanufactured job. I've had that one in there for about 1k miles as well with no noticeable problems. Tested 4 hi and 4 low on a few dirt roads and a little bit of hilly terrain but nothing serious (come on lol I live in Florida) and I'm hoping it holds together hehe. Good luck!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well as my intro post states I bought my truck new sold it to my brother, well he took over payments. Then while he had it it took a crap. He said it never roared or gave any hint of failing till it did at 75mph on the interstate. Yes he was booking in the 3.9L. He said he checked his pants afterwards. It busted the transfer case and then sat till I resurrected it a few weeks ago. I pulled the plugs soaked the motor spun it over reinstalled the plugs fresh gas and she started right up.

·
Registered
72 Posts
As a note I called them today to ask about my core and well it turns out I'm an idiot...they put it directly back on my card and I thought it would be sent as a check. So yeah 10 out of 10!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Some more info for anyone in and around Rockford IL. There is a place called Rockford Driveline which specializes in...driveline...

I got a quote from one of their retailers at $250 with shipping for a new conversion(ujoint on both ends) shaft. Take the time to look around their site. There is tons of info to be seen here.

http://rockforddriveline.com/

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, "Newbie" just saying Thanks to all guys on here. I had the tell tale "clunking" coming from CV joint attached to Transmission case on my 2002 5.9L Durango SLT in 2W drive mode and sounding MUCH worse if selecting 4Hi or4Lo.
Got a new (Universal joints both ends) prop shaft off eBay for $222 (FREE delivery by UPS in 5 days). My friendly garage tech had old one off and new one on in under 30 minutes! $45 and a couple of beers :) Very pleased with result. Forum offered great advice. By the way I have 125K on the clock, but did a lot of 4 wheel driving last winter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Put in a new front drive shaft today with u-joints on both ends. It was an easy process, however when I tested in in 4wd it there was a lot of binding and cracking when I was cornering with the truck. Is it possible that the differentials in the tcase were misaligned while I was putting it on? I put in and took it out of 4wd a few times while I was unscrewing the bolts. Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Replacing the Front D/S on our 06 4WD 4DR

The CV joint on the front drive shaft is failing, and we noticed the first noises last week at very low speed. On the first of October, we will drop the shaft, enabling us to drive the Dakota the 60 miles home safely. We will get a rebuilt shaft from O'Reily's for $309, with me replacing the shaft for free. (I was a mechanic for decades till by back gave out). There options to letting MOPAR RIP you off for a new shaft.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a 2002 dodge Dakota with the front drive shaft taken out and the drive shaft was no good and the bolts wernt anywhere to be found..soo I went out and bought a used shaft off of a guy that is the modified shaft with u-joints on both ends I am just wondering what the bolt type and side would be to use this shaft..thank you

·
Registered
3 Posts
I need a little help with the rebuilt drive shaft I just purchased. When I purchased the 2003 dakota the drive shaft was missing. The replacement shaft did not come with any hardware. Where can I purchase the ten bolts I need or is this something I can get at my local hardware store?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I recently purchased a 2003 Dakota quadcab. I did not realize that the front driveshaft was missing. I have purchased one but here is my problem, I have no idea where to get the required hardware to install the driveshaft. Is this something I can pick up at my local hardware store? If so what size bolts do I need? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts