41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
"Semi-Hemi" Extraordinair
1,256 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
dual u joint drive shaft

I installed the two u-joint short drive shaft myself and have about 5000 miles on it. It was used heavily this last winter as we had record snow falls and snow plows weren't getting out to me in time. Did a lot of four wheeling in deep snow. Pulled a few vehicles out too. So far there has been no problems. A transparent change. No vibration as some thought would occur. I try to keep my speed no higher than 60mph with four wheel drive engaged. A mechanic had my truck up on a hoist for a free oil change and lube I had acquired, and he noticed this drive shaft and said that isn't stock. I told him I had replaced it with a custom made one for several hundred less due to broken seal on CV joint on the original and he said the new shaft I now had should have been there from the start. It looked rock solid to him and he's changed out quite a few.

You are getting yours repaired for $500. You know, if I had gotten a quote that low I don't know that I would have thought to look further for options.

·
1,256 Posts
yeah, I would of just ordered the one for 350$ or whatever and put it on myself.
i guess having it done in town is a good thing incase there is vibration or some other problem i can just take it back in to them.
I tell you what, it is nice to get rid of that jingling noise and the horrible sound it made when i put it in reverse.
I feel like i'm in stealth mode with the front drive shaft out.
hopefully it stays like that after the new one goes on tomorrow.
The good news is the rear shaft and u-joints are fine.

I installed the two u-joint short drive shaft myself and have about 5000 miles on it. It was used heavily this last winter as we had record snow falls and snow plows weren't getting out to me in time. Did a lot of four wheeling in deep snow. Pulled a few vehicles out too. So far there has been no problems. A transparent change. No vibration as some thought would occur. I try to keep my speed no higher than 60mph with four wheel drive engaged. A mechanic had my truck up on a hoist for a free oil change and lube I had acquired, and he noticed this drive shaft and said that isn't stock. I told him I had replaced it with a custom made one for several hundred less due to broken seal on CV joint on the original and he said the new shaft I now had should have been there from the start. It looked rock solid to him and he's changed out quite a few.

You are getting yours repaired for $500. You know, if I had gotten a quote that low I don't know that I would have thought to look further for options.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dakota front drive shaft

I hear ya. When that CV joint goes it's an eerie feeling to hear noise in 4WD.
The price I was quoted for the OEM shaft was $650. I found it for less online but you had to have a business to buy it at a significantly lower price of around $400. Then I looked at the Dakota-Durango site and saved a bunch.
I plan on keeping my truck for as long as it will run. This front drive shaft was the first actual repair I had to do on my 2001 Dakota with 127000 miles. I've been very happy with it. Last week I had to replace a front caliper on the brakes and I now I have a rear window that the power window assembly busted on during the winter, so it is no longer pristine, but I never have owned a vehicle that went over 100000 miles without needing anything but oil changes, wiper blades, and a set of new tires. The suspension still feels nearly as tight as it did when I bought the truck new in 2001. My truck has been to North Dakota, South Dakota, Minn., Michigan, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Iowa, Missouri, Indianna, and Kansas, so a lot of the miles on it are highway miles, although I drove it to work 15 miles one way every week the first five years I had it. Needless to say, its been driven and hauled some people and gear. Others may say different, but this truck is the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. It sits in the garage more now as I drive a more fuel efficient vehicle to get around in now.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Evan, that is what I wanted when mine blew. However, I couldn't find anyone that would do it, but I did find a shop that replaced that rear c/v joint with a new one. It too only took a day but it was $325.00.

My shop was DriveShaft King in Dallas.

·
1,256 Posts
update. it was only 250$ for the shaft through Sadler.
so I'm all set :)
no more clanging noise or ratcheting sound when in reverse.

·
Registered
269 Posts
too all the people who broke front drive shafts.. i feel ur pain.
:fawkdance: stupid oem garbage.. junkyard wanted 200 for a used one i said :byewhore: lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Does anybody know if the double U-joint front drive line will work on an AWD durango? I had mine explode this weekend, dumped the ball bearings all over the trail!

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

·
Registered
269 Posts
i did it the ghetto way and used the double u joint driveshaft heres what i did

parts:
driveshaft with double u joint
yoke for that drive shaft to use on the t case

mod:
cut the double u joint off and cut the center piece out
basically turn it into a single u joint

then i used the yoke with the flange on it for the diff side.
went and beat the hell out of this set up today and it held up im very happy with it.
ALSO!!
bought mine for 120 from mopar kid but
what i found out is the jeep cherokees use THE SAME DOUBLE U JOINT (im not sure if its longer or shorter but i believe its the same size)
the junk yard wanted 200 for a used one for a rango
and 25 for a jeep one..
i found this out after i bought moparkids. but im sure this will save u a few bucks

·
Mopar 4 life
749 Posts
i have the same one on my truck, looked at it last night and im pretty sure mine is stock like that

·
Registered
6 Posts
i just scored and found one of these double u joint shafts at a salvage yard for 100 bucks! put it on and im back in business.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I came across this thread surfing for driveshaft information after *C-ttman Transmission here in Austin tried to hand me a 850.00 bill. I went with Abstrastic's suggestion and ordered one from the guys at DriveLine, the total cost was 302.91 delivered by UPS.

Thanks for posting this thread,...:beer:

MoL

·
Registered
82 Posts
Here's mine,... pics as delivered on a 2 day turn around, call monday, get wednesday, suhweet.

weighs about 16lbs, lots of greasy nipples all around and the U-joint cups are definitely beefer
the COD tag fell off and the office girl signed for it unknowingly. I sent the guys a certified check

thanx again for letting stumble onto this thread and forum,....:beer:

·
Registered
226 Posts
Wow, two years later, their pricing is still about the same...
I'm pulling mine tomorrow, measuring it, getting it ordered, and will look forward to the new one.

·
Banned
2,773 Posts
Here is the shops info. They don't have a website, and they don't accept credit Cards. They are old school. But great people.

DRIVELINE EXPRESS

Truck • Auto • Ag
Drive Shaft Parts & Repair
1-800-753-1273 • 806-762-5896

1615 Buddy Holly Ave. Lubbock, TX 79401

Let me know if you need anything else.
That's good. I live in TX!

I'll save their info for furture refrence

·
Banned
2,773 Posts
I may have them build me a new rear and front drive shaft.. those look top notch!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Finally found a Driveshaft Repair Shop close to where I am , called up the one in Texas but they do not ship to Canada . Ends up there is a place just down the street from me , on my way to work that will build me a Driveshaft for $300 to $400 CDN in one day or for the next day . For anyone in my area , just go South on Thickson Rd in Whitby , Ontario , Canada , go south of 401 Hwy ( pass over it ) , turn left ( East ) on Wentworth St . which is the 2nd set of lights after going over the 401 Hwy , turn right at 1st set of lights ( South , toward lake ) which is Boundary Rd , keep an eye out for a fairly large sign on left side " 1333 " , it is on the South side of building complex ( 2nd entrance ) , approx 1/2 way down .

Precision Drive & Hydraulics
1333 Boundary Rd, Oshawa, ON L1J 6Z7
(905) 576 5822
hey neighbor ! we may have to keep in touch. Can you read my thread to understand why ? In the future, I am going to have to get a driveshaft, but I do not have to $$ cash right now.. I am looking for a transmission and front Differential atm.. :rant:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Any advice installing it? I just put a new one in mine and It was STUPID hard to get a socket on the bolts...dropped some locktite on em and did my best. Ran it at about 50 mph in 4WD high seems fine. Just makes me a little nervous that I did it and not a mechanic.

41 - 60 of 78 Posts