Dakota Durango Forum banner

21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
if you look at the first post in the thread there are pics showing the old drive shaft and you can see the rubber boot that is the cv-joint. The rubber boot broke and so what fluids that were in were no longer there. It was causing the drive shaft to bind. so I replaced it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just broke my front drive shaft for my Dakota and I'm trying to find another one, from local junk yards, what years and styles are compatible, I have an 03 Quad cab with a v8 thanks for the help.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I just broke my front drive shaft for my Dakota and I'm trying to find another one, from local junk yards, what years and styles are compatible, I have an 03 Quad cab with a v8 thanks for the help.
2001 to 2004

·
Dakota SLT Quad Cab 4x4
99 Posts
2002 Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 front Drive Shaft

My driveshaft CV Joint looked pretty well exactly like Abstrastic's oldie , unfortunately I can't find any pics of my new / rebuilt shaft to post , sorry Abstrastic , wish I could have been of service ; will crawl under my truck with digital cam when / if the ground ever dries around here . The only difference is that the rear of the shaft now has a U-Joint and the original shaft was used , and the original mating plate from original CV-Joint was welded to new U-Joint and shaft balanced .

·
Registered
332 Posts
Kinda reviving an old thread here, but having front driveshaft probs again, different truck this time though. Found a good site that acutally sells boot kits and CV Joints. Going to try and buy from them. $700 plus is to much for a new shaft. I know everyone likes the shaft that guys have been buying here, but i like to keep things original, plus i think there's a reason it has a CV Joint in the first place. Lots of good info on their site.

www.rockforddriveline.com

·
Registered
1 Posts
aftermarket front driveshaft

I just bought the driveshaft you suggested. Is there anything that I need to know other then I can just put it on and go? Do I need to know any specific ways it should go on?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Good looking shaft, thats the same thing I did to my explorer (when I had it) The factory shaft went out and instead of replaceing it with a similar junk shaft I had one just like yours made to fit. Just like yours, it was not only stronger, but cheaper as well.

·
Dakota SLT Quad Cab 4x4
99 Posts
New / Rebuilt Front Drive Shaft

Sorry it took so long for me to get pics of my front drive shaft Abstrastic , finally got the shaft off the truck yesterday as winter is almost over up here . It pretty well is the same setup as yours , except the guy used the original tubing as a shaft . He also used the original collar/flange that mates with the front output coupling on transfer case and just welded the U-Joint holder to it .

Attachments

·
01 Durango R/T
239 Posts
Hello all, i am needing to replace my Front Drive Shaft as well and would like to use the u-joint configuration though my 01 Durango R/T is AWD and I have heard that using the U-joint I will get a bad vibration. Should i stick with the CV Configuration?????

·
Registered
3 Posts
Driveline Express needs length from flange to flange

I want to Thank Abstrastic for all the great info and photos even though I'm addressing a two year old thread. The questions others posted and statements they made also helped a lot in my decision to pursue a duo U Joint custom made shaft. Yeah and the price had a lot to do with it as well.
My ran $265 including shipping to Iowa. My original held up to 128,000 miles; however, it was mainly only used for traction in snow as opposed to off-road fun.

For those like me still reading this great thread and the solution I want to let you know that I contacted Jimmy at Driveline Express and he needed to know the length of my driveshaft as they varied from either a 24 1/2" or a 26 1/2" length from flange face of U joint to flange face of CV Joint.

My 2001 Dakota 4x4 auto, 4.7L crew cab needed the 26 1/2". My truck was one of the last 2001s to go down the assembly line if not the very last one, before they tooled up to make the 2002s, Jimmy said they varied and the only way to tell is to take a tape measure to it and verify. He will need that info to get you a replacement. At they time I placed my order, they carried a small inventory of these replacement shafts. They still only deal in cash or check.

21 - 40 of 78 Posts