Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first picture is the U-joints that connect to the front Diff.

The second picture is the rear joint on the end of the drive shaft that connects to the transfer case.

The third picture is the rubber seal that broke on the joint and everything in that joint was all chewed to pieces and flakes of metal everywhere.

The fourth picture is my head as of Thursday night.

The rest of the pics are of the New Drive Shaft on the truck and next to the old one. The drive shaft has U-joints on both ends and it is also grease able unlike the (OEM) drive shaft.

I talked to the owner of the company a little after taking pics and asked if they shipped Drive Shafts out. he said yes. I will put his info on here if anyone wants it.

·
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.
10,424 Posts
Notice any difference in vibration etc now that you have u-joints at both ends?

Looks damn nice though, how much?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No vibration.

Dealership wanted $600 for the same thing that came off the truck.
O'rielys wanted $400 for the same thing and it was going to take two weeks to get.

From a place in town had it that day (custom) and it was $248.92

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks good but you might want to move your head BEFORE you take that last bolt out.... Just sayin'
I was putting the bolts back in.

Is it stronger than factory?
unlike the OEM shaft this one is completely solid except for the part where it compresses. It weighs about 10-15lbs more than Stock.

·
Dakota SLT Quad Cab 4x4
99 Posts
So Abstrastic , how about that address or website for the location where you got the Front Driveshaft built ? My head looks almost like yours from banging it against the wall trying to find someone to built or repair my Front Shaft. That shaft you got is exactly what I want , no more rediculous CV Joint with a busted boot to boot . If I get really lucky the person that built the shaft for you will still have the specs , I believe that was for a Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 , right ? Mine is a 2002 Dodge Dakota SLT Quad Cab 4x4 .

Attachments

·
Dakota SLT Quad Cab 4x4
99 Posts
Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4

Finally found a Driveshaft Repair Shop close to where I am , called up the one in Texas but they do not ship to Canada . Ends up there is a place just down the street from me , on my way to work that will build me a Driveshaft for $300 to $400 CDN in one day or for the next day . For anyone in my area , just go South on Thickson Rd in Whitby , Ontario , Canada , go south of 401 Hwy ( pass over it ) , turn left ( East ) on Wentworth St . which is the 2nd set of lights after going over the 401 Hwy , turn right at 1st set of lights ( South , toward lake ) which is Boundary Rd , keep an eye out for a fairly large sign on left side " 1333 " , it is on the South side of building complex ( 2nd entrance ) , approx 1/2 way down .

Precision Drive & Hydraulics
1333 Boundary Rd, Oshawa, ON L1J 6Z7
(905) 576 5822

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
dodge dakota front drive shaft

Where did you get the drive shaft for the dakota?I have a 2001 Dakota auto with the same problem,but mine left me wet in the mud when it just blew apart.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here is the shops info. They don't have a website, and they don't accept credit Cards. They are old school. But great people.

DRIVELINE EXPRESS

Truck • Auto • Ag
Drive Shaft Parts & Repair
1-800-753-1273 • 806-762-5896

1615 Buddy Holly Ave. Lubbock, TX 79401

Let me know if you need anything else.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
looks like the same exact thing i have in my truck now, but mine was cheaper and local.

·
Dakota SLT Quad Cab 4x4
99 Posts
New / Rebuilt Front Drive Shaft

I already left all the info of where and how to get to the shop that used my old Front Drive Shaft and installed / welded a U-Joint and made up a plate to bolt back onto the Front Tranny Coupling in the 3rd post prior this one . If you are from around Whitby / Oshawa , Ontario , Canada this place is easy to find and the guy was quite helpful . Had a rebuilt shaft installed 2 days later , he was already busy with another project and I told him there was no rush . He has quite a nice Jeep 4x4 that he has modified and this guy has built some pretty wicked vehicles that he takes down to the US for fun and competitions as well as going out around here and playing in the mud a bit .

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I already left all the info of where and how to get to the shop that used my old Front Drive Shaft and installed / welded a U-Joint and made up a plate to bolt back onto the Front Tranny Coupling in the 3rd post prior this one . If you are from around Whitby / Oshawa , Ontario , Canada this place is easy to find and the guy was quite helpful . Had a rebuilt shaft installed 2 days later , he was already busy with another project and I told him there was no rush . He has quite a nice Jeep 4x4 that he has modified and this guy has built some pretty wicked vehicles that he takes down to the US for fun and competitions as well as going out around here and playing in the mud a bit .

Yeah I read ur posts. By chance do you have any pics of ur newly rebuilt drive shaft? I just cant picture taking the current drive shaft and just changing a few things. My new one is much more of a heavy duty shaft compared to the stock one. So I am just curious to see what yours looks like now.

·
Dakota SLT Quad Cab 4x4
99 Posts
New / Rebuilt Front Drive Shaft

Originally had pics on my Hard Drive but ended up deleting them , probably have them burnt to a backup disc , will see if I can dig them out and post .

1 - 20 of 78 Posts