Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
spends too much money
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking to pull up to 4k, and i want to put a gibson cat back.. or somthing else.. but will that effect my towing capacity??

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
It should'ent what engine do you have?

·
spends too much money
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
3.9..ill be putting a cold air 360 on too

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
well 4k with a 3.9 is going to be slow going anyways, but it can do it. Just make sure you have atleast a classIII hitch. I think you will be allright with the Gibson cat back and 360 intake. Sometimes when you change the exhaust and intake you will losse a little bottm end and gain some top end. i still think you will be alright.

·
spends too much money
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
minimoto...what can i do to my engine or suspension to make it tow more..cuz we found out the boats gonna be prettty damn heavy..like 4500 lbs+..so whatta i do?

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
realisticly, your asking way to much out of your truck. you might get away with it on flat ground but uphill you are really going to struggle.going downhill is not going to be a picnic either.two choices,sell truck and buy beefier dodge or upgrade your rear axle with different gears,heavier leaf springs and better brakes.once you get all that done your still going to want to trade it in. boats are heavy and when you start adding gear,food,gas,friends and a cooler WOW! good luck

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
360 xrt said:
realisticly, your asking way to much out of your truck. you might get away with it on flat ground but uphill you are really going to struggle.going downhill is not going to be a picnic either.two choices,sell truck and buy beefier dodge or upgrade your rear axle with different gears,heavier <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=24&k=leaf%20springs" onmouseover="window.status='leaf springs'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">leaf springs</a> and better brakes.once you get all that done your still going to want to trade it in. boats are heavy and when you start adding gear,food,gas,friends and a cooler WOW! good luck
Very well put I know they say my 2004 3.7 Dak can tow 5k, but I would not want to try it. YOu might want to get a bigger truck like a Ram. It is not going to go up hills good at all and stopping is going to be an issue, unless you have trailer brakes. You could gey heaver duty springs in the rear, and upgrade the brakes, but still you have a 3.9 in a somewhat small truck. I would really rethink this thing towing is not fun and games you can really tear up your truck. Is your truck a 5-speed or auto?

·
spends too much money
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
its an auto..the trailer has brakes..but i just found out that the whole boat and trailer can be up to 4500 lbs..which concerns me..but will puttin a new suspension on help at all?

·
spends too much money
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
maybe we could just get a different boat..lol..not sure if you guys are familiar with wakeboats..but there all pretty heavy as hell

·
spends too much money
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
one last question...would a V8 dakota club cab 4.7 pull it alright...(in and outta the water biggest concern) thanks

·
Premium Member
12,185 Posts
01dakslt said:
one last question...would a V8 dakota club cab 4.7 pull it alright...(in and outta the water biggest concern) thanks
The 4.7L drivetrain would definitely have more grunt to pull the boat out than the V6. You'd be even better off with a used QC 5.9L V8 Dakota.

·
spends too much money
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah..i wish i had that money lol, would my v6 even pull 4500lbs out of the water?..if not whats a good price on a clean 4.7

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I dont know how new you are to boating but take a look around the parking lot at the docks,nothing but dualies and 3/4 ton trucks. maybe you could find a beater 3/4 ton for cheap and keep your dakota.

·
spends too much money
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah i suggested that to my dad, but he said we cant keep it in our neighbor hood..anal sob's in the nbh...but yeah a few weekends ago..we saw an 80's mustang pullin a bayliner..lol we laughed, whats the best idea tho?

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
I still think you are going to have a problem with the hills and boat ramps. I would say you would be alright with a 4.7 auto, How long is the boat?

·
Registered
118 Posts
well...

I know from first hand that the 3.7 with the 4 speed auto can pull a 12 long twin axel trailer with 2 ATV's weighing in a 643 pounds each anlong with enough camping gear to last a week. And thats going from Maryland to the PA. line where we own a farm to hunt on. The moter seemed to tame them mountainous hills with ease. Remember to pull with Overdrive off, Trust me, my truck will pull a 19 Sea pro center console with twin 150's thats 4500 pounds right there without the beer and the ladies. just don't be in a hurry, thats when the sh#t starts to fly.

·
spends too much money
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the boat is 22 ft long...its a beast, its bulkier than most boats. (but hey puts out a bif f*kin wake) but were lookin at a few other boats..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts