Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I am thinking of getting a new exhaust system for my 2000 Dodge Dakota 5.9 R/T but need a few questions answering.
The truck will be getting converted to LPG; because of being in theUK & fuel costs over here :(
I have been told that I can remove the cat due to a new government law which means cars running LPG don’t need them, Question is am told that there are two O2 sensors either side of the CAT if I remove these it will show an check engine warning light & if so how do I trick the ECU into thinking that the sensor are still there, or is there some software/firmware that can rectify this

Cheers guys from Lee in the UK

·
Registered
504 Posts
First of all you must be mad to be driving a R/T in the UK with those high gas prices and crappy roads. You can fool the PCM into thinking that the O2s are still there, go to KRC Performance and they sell the little black box that will fix you up.

Good luck with the LP conversion, keep us posted on how it does.
:drive:

·
Registered
388 Posts
hey what is the lpg conversion. I know I saw a commentary on that on the show 5th gear (i think it was awhile back) but forgot what it really was. It's not natural gas is it? Anyhoo yeah goodluck...didn't even know they sold dodge, let alone a dakota r/t in the u.k.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mopar rt said:
First of all you must be mad to be driving a R/T in the UK with those high gas prices and crappy roads. You can fool the PCM into thinking that the O2s are still there, go to KRC Performance and they sell the little black box that will fix you up.

Good luck with the LP conversion, keep us posted on how it does.
:drive:

@mopart_rt
I've looked on the KRC performance website but can't seem to anything, could you point me in the right direction.

@supradakotaman
Some info about LPG for you:
LPG is produced during the normal petrol chemical distilling process of crude oil and the letters LPG stand for Liquefied Petroleum Gas, so in other words - petrol gas - which is 100% octane as in 100% octane 5* petrol 97/98 4* and 97super unleaded. Any car can run on high octane fuel without modification, problems arise from cars designed to run on high octane being asked to use regular unleaded, which is 94%. LPG is stored in a liquid form because being 250x more dense than as a gas it requires less space within the car.

I'll post pics next week when the converison is done and can't wait for low price on fuel woohoo :mullet:

-Lee

·
Registered
504 Posts
I would e-mail KRC and ask about the Kat Box. They use to list it on their web site. This Kat Box only takes care of the sensors after the converter I’m not sure if it will work on the sensors before the converter. If it does not then you will have to leave the pre-sensors in place or the PCM will not control the fuel system.

·
Am I Driving?
66 Posts
Sounds like all you need is an O2 simulator for the post cat sensor. You will need to run the pre-cat sensor unless you want to run in open-loop all the time. If that's the case, you will need someone that can re-tune your PCM to optimize your fuel usage for open loop.

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
yeah you will need to leave your pre cat O2 and get a O2 simulator for the post cat. Try www.summitracing.com Casper Electronics makes them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts