Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a 1999 Dakota extra cab, 4x4, v-8 with a 5 speed manual trans. It hasn't run in almost a year, but has many of these issues while it was running.
The issues that I'm dealing with are:
  1. Engine dying out when slowing down at an intersection while I depress the clutch to down shift. Starts right back up with no issues.
  2. ABS light on
  3. Air bag light on
  4. initially the speedometer wasn't working. There was a trouble code for vehicle speed sensor, which made sense to me.
    1. I had an interesting time trying to find the speed sensor. It wasn't on the transmission as reported.
    2. I finally found it on the rear diff and replaced with no success. Nothing changed.
  5. now the entire instrument cluster gauges are not working. Speed-O, Tach, Temp, Voltmeter, Oil Pressure, and fuel.
    1. The warning lights seem to be working fine.
    2. The other thing is the odometer blinks 3-4 times after starting then shows what appears to be "no bus" or something of that nature in the display.
  6. Other than that the truck seems to work okay, just need servicing.
If anyone could share some insight on any of these issues I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ive heard of tthe harness for that rear diff abs speed sensor getting chewed up. Check the wiring all the way down to the speed sensor. That sensor will throw an abs light as well. As for the dying when you come to a stop, did you clean or replace your idle air control valve yet on the throttle body? Thats a common issue as are the pcv valves. If its been sitting for so long it almost sounds like mice may have chewed through some wires, but then again it doesnt take much for Chrysler electronics to fail.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sounds like a bad cluster. When they go bad, its often an intermittent issue. My guess is it tried to work when you started the truck again, couldn't quite do it right, and then died.You might have other bad modules too, but if the cluster is bad, it can show you all sorts of lights. I'd recommend having these guys clone up your old one on a replacement so you dont get into a 'tampering' warning headache. Dodge Instrument Clusters - Replacement Cluster Panels, Dash Panels, Gauge Clusters, Speedometers for Dodge

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like a bad cluster. When they go bad, its often an intermittent issue. My guess is it tried to work when you started the truck again, couldn't quite do it right, and then died.You might have other bad modules too, but if the cluster is bad, it can show you all sorts of lights. I'd recommend having these guys clone up your old one on a replacement so you dont get into a 'tampering' warning headache. Dodge Instrument Clusters - Replacement Cluster Panels, Dash Panels, Gauge Clusters, Speedometers for Dodge
Thanks for the response.
Yes, you are correct. Just started it up a few days ago to move it and some of the features worked for a bit then stopped again. I'll look into the cluster replacement.
Ive heard of tthe harness for that rear diff abs speed sensor getting chewed up. Check the wiring all the way down to the speed sensor. That sensor will throw an abs light as well. As for the dying when you come to a stop, did you clean or replace your idle air control valve yet on the throttle body? Thats a common issue as are the pcv valves. If its been sitting for so long it almost sounds like mice may have chewed through some wires, but then again it doesnt take much for Chrysler electronics to fail.
I'll check out those things.
Thanks for the response

1 - 5 of 5 Posts