Dakota Durango Forum banner

New Brakes

2K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  OCdak 
#1 ·
Hello to all,

On my 01' Durango I now need new brakes pads! They lasted since I bought the car and now after 54,000 miles the dealership says they have just 7mm left front and back. CAN anyone tell me how much is that? Can anyone tell me how much to expect to spend when the time comes? All I want to do is have the dealership change them. Nothing fancy just OEM brakes pads. How much? Let me know.

rimfire,22

#2 ·
just go down to the auto parts store pick up some pads for the front and rear mabee cost you 70 bucks at the most and do the labor your self gonna need a torx 45 though to take of the caliper not hard at all to do.

#3 ·
rimfire said:
Hello to all,

On my 01' Durango I now need new brakes pads! They lasted since I bought the car and now after 54,000 miles the dealership says they have just 7mm left front and back. CAN anyone tell me how much is that? Can anyone tell me how much to expect to spend when the time comes? All I want to do is have the dealership change them. Nothing fancy just OEM brakes pads. How much? Let me know.

rimfire,22
I have a special today on performance pads/rotors (better than stock, a good upgrade)-- otherwise get some pads/rotors from Autozone for cheap, and do the brake job yourself-- save $$$...

Sam
www.socaldakota.com
619-274-1292

#6 ·
rimfire said:
Hey guys,

Thanks for your replies but I dunna know how to do it myself. How much you figured I'll spend at the dealership?

rimfire,22
i did mine today, by myself, for the first time actually. Its EXTREMELY easy...just buy some pads, like 20 bucks for some cheapo (Duralast?) ones just for the front. It probably take u no more than 30 minutes to change em.

#9 ·
rtdkota said:
I have a special today on performance pads/rotors (better than stock, a good upgrade)-- otherwise get some pads/rotors from Autozone for cheap, and do the brake job yourself-- save $$$...

Sam
www.socaldakota.com
619-274-1292
What Do you have for an '04? And how much $$?

#11 ·
Why goto the dealer for everything and take one up the ass....goto a small town mechanic or something, they have the ability to complete the job just as well as the dealer.

#12 ·
New brakes from a dealer (with out a reach-around) along with 4+ hours of waiting- $189.99

Ceramic no-name pads from Midas w/installation and waiting 2+ hours - $150.00

Hawk Ceramic Performance pads (viewed to be some of the best) from almost anywhere- $70.00

1 hour to put on the Hawks and drive down the street flipping the dealer & Midas off - Priceless

For non-mechanics, you pay the price...for everything else, there's more $$'s for more mod's...not to mention common sense

#14 ·
lilguido1 said:
New brakes from a dealer (with out a reach-around) along with 4+ hours of waiting- $189.99

Hawk Ceramic Performance pads (viewed to be some of the best) from almost anywhere- $70.00

1 hour to put on the Hawks and drive down the street flipping the dealer & Midas off - Priceless

For non-mechanics, you pay the price...for everything else, there's more $$'s for more mod's...not to mention common sense
:rofl: :banana2: I would have to agree. Changing the brakes really isn't all that hard. The only trouble that I have had in the past is one the rear when my old truck had drums and the damn retainer spring got a mind of its own and went for a flying leap :cussing:

#15 ·
i had almost 100k miles on my dak before i changed my back drums pads and springs, fronts are almost due, need new rotors and i dont have the money for ssbc so imma go back with factory and just some good pads, my rotors now i had them turned and new pads put on for $100. and not the dealer, 30k lata the rotors are warped again, i think it was the cheap pads. doin the front brakes are simple, 2 bolts on the back of the capilers undo them, pull it off and then the pads, take a steel wool pad or so and in circle scrub the rotors, put a lil brake grease on the back of the new pads and them on the same way the old pads were on, put a c- clamp over the cylinder par of the caliper, crank the clamp done compressing the sylinder back done, remove the clamp and slip of the cylinder, screw in the bolts by hand much as possible and then tighten down, there your done with one side. and all it cost ya was just the pads and 99 cents for the grease and a lil of your time.

#16 ·
lilguido1 said:

Yup thats how it is too!...Just do it yourself dude, its not that hard

#17 ·
rtdkota said:
I have powerslots available (front and rear if you have the rear discs)-- same price 1997-2003 & 2004 (different pn for 2004)--- Hawk pads available for your 2004 (front only)-- rears would be OEM.

Have all the pricing on my website.

Sam
www.socaldakota.com
619-274-1292
Is the on your site for the pair? or per side? On the '04 4x4's the disk is larger than on a 2x4, does that affect the price?
Thanks!

#18 ·
What I have which I am very happy with (not knocking PowerSlot at all as I've used them on other cars):

PowerSlot Cross Drilled & Slotted Rotors - http://www.powerstoprotors.com/power_stop_cross_drilled_and_slotted.htm

They have the option to be coated in either silver or gold cadmium - I had mine done in silver. The benefits - awesome heat dissapation (especially if you do any rush hour traffic) and no rust. They look great too!

Hawk Performance Ceramic Pads - simply awesome (especially the break in smells...)

Initial investment in my brakes - $300.00 total and 1 hour. Not bad as I could spend allot more because with my lift & wheels, I should buy larger rotors & new calipers ($1k minimum)

Good luck!

#20 · (Edited)
I just had Powerslot & Hawk pads installed. The shop, which has an excellent reputation, had problems with the pads being too thick. I have problems with squeeking and rubbing. I'm NOT trying to knock that set up, but it's questionable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.