Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Original Graham Cracka'
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently purchased the R/T 20's that were on Ebay, and now looking at tires.

I am not sure about tire size. I have stock R/T suspension, and have no plans to lower, as it is my daily driver & Home Depot truck.

Currently, I am running Toyo Prox II 275/55/17's, and have no rubbing issues at all. I am considering a couple of different tire sizes. I would love to go up to a 275/45/20, but it is over 3/4" taller, so I am worried about rubbing.

Or, I can play it safe and go with a 275/40/20, and lose only a 1/4" of tire height.

What do the experts here think? Pics if you have them would be much appreciated.

Thanks for all of your input.

Chris

·
Pre-Teen Giggle Brigade
6,840 Posts
general grabbers suck. amazing for snow and shit but dont last for shit.

i got goodyear gtII

·
Original Graham Cracka'
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate the input on the tire brand. I have them on my SSR and have been pretty happy, but it only sees dry weather.

I was more looking for comments on the actual tire size, so post has been edited.

Thanks,

Chris

·
I know nothing
1,247 Posts
my truck is lowered with 3inch springs in the front and hotchkis leafs in rear, and i was running 275/45/20's with no rubbing in turning, but when i would go over a big bump i would scrub on the fender flares. 275/40's on the front now dont scrub hardly at all even on heavy bumps, but as far as turning, i havent had any problems out of either size. With you being on stock suspension with no plans to lower, and being a home depot and daily driver, i'd probably go ahead with the 275/45's and you wont have any problems

·
Original Graham Cracka'
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my truck is lowered with 3inch springs in the front and hotchkis leafs in rear, and i was running 275/45/20's with no rubbing in turning, but when i would go over a big bump i would scrub on the fender flares. 275/40's on the front now dont scrub hardly at all even on heavy bumps, but as far as turning, i havent had any problems out of either size. With you being on stock suspension with no plans to lower, and being a home depot and daily driver, i'd probably go ahead with the 275/45's and you wont have any problems
Much appreciated input, thank you. If I understand correctly, you had the 275/45/20's on 3 inch lowered suspension, which would be 2 inches lower than a R/T?

·
Sicky Gnar Gnar
579 Posts
I had 275/45/20s with my 2wd stock height in the front and 2" lowering blocks in the rear and it didnt rub at all

·
Original Graham Cracka'
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had 275/45/20s with my 2wd stock height in the front and 2" lowering blocks in the rear and it didnt rub at all
Thanks for your input. Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't your stock height 1 inch higher on your Q/C than a stock height R/T? I am wondering if that 1 inch difference will cause rubbing.

·
Sicky Gnar Gnar
579 Posts
Thanks for your input. Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't your stock height 1 inch higher on your Q/C than a stock height R/T? I am wondering if that 1 inch difference will cause rubbing.
Well I dont know much about R/Ts. Im still new to these Dakotas. But I did recently swap the 20s out for a 31x10.5x15 which is a little bigger than the 275/55/20 and that doesnt rub either.

·
Original Graham Cracka'
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I dont know much about R/Ts. Im still new to these Dakotas. But I did recently swap the 20s out for a 31x10.5x15 which is a little bigger than the 275/55/20 and that doesnt rub either.
I'm sooooo confused!! I do not want to make a $700 mistake on a tire purchase.

·
Sicky Gnar Gnar
579 Posts
Ah crap sorry I meant 275/45/20*** my bad

·
2,591 Posts
275/45/20 is way to big..when i had my R/T i was lowered 2" and when i went over bumps i hit..i broke my fender flares from hiting..i had to stop driving my truck untill i changed the tires..i went with 255/35/20..but a 255/40/20 would be your best tires size

·
Original Graham Cracka'
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, I think I have it figured out! Going to do 295/45/20's on the rear, and 275/40/20 on the front. What do you guys think?

·
14 cylinders
2,101 Posts
295/45s are huge. 2.5" taller than a stock R/T tire. If you for some reason want 295s out back, 295/35 would be the way to go. You'd probably be lookin at $400+ a tire in that size.

If it were me, i'd just go with 255/40s. MAYBE 275/40s, they're about an inch taller.

·
I know nothing
1,247 Posts
295/45s are huge. 2.5" taller than a stock R/T tire. If you for some reason want 295s out back, 295/35 would be the way to go. You'd probably be lookin at $400+ a tire in that size.

If it were me, i'd just go with 255/40s. MAYBE 275/40s, they're about an inch taller.
i'd agree, id do the 255/40's and you'd keep the same overall diameter. the 275 40's look good as well and would only be about .7 inches bigger, so they'd work well too. For your truck uses being a dd, and if you're anything like me (i live in atlanta and drive in the city alot) then i'd go for the 275/40's to have a touch more sidewall and width, probably be a little more common size for the 20's as well, so should be fair priced

·
Original Graham Cracka'
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

i'd agree, id do the 255/40's and you'd keep the same overall diameter. the 275 40's look good as well and would only be about .7 inches bigger, so they'd work well too. For your truck uses being a dd, and if you're anything like me (i live in atlanta and drive in the city alot) then i'd go for the 275/40's to have a touch more sidewall and width, probably be a little more common size for the 20's as well, so should be fair priced
Yeah I think you guys are right. I was trying to cheap out & use the rear tires off of my SSR & only have to buy fronts for the R/T. 275/40/20 in a Toyo Prox STII is pretty reasonably priced; I have 275/55/17's in the same tire on the 17" R/T wheels now.

Thanks for all the help & quick responses!

Chris

1 - 15 of 15 Posts