Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, i got my rims ordered and they come in this friday (MB Motoring Jump 20"). I was wanting to try something. I wanted to maybe put some white neon lights or something behind the wheels so when i drive at night, they would look bright as hell and really stand out. has anyone seen this done, or have heard of this being done? Any pics? Any suggestions? :huh:

·
Super Modder
4,368 Posts
when you put the light behind the wheel, you cant see the wheel...just the siloette. makes it harder to actually see the car because the wheel wells are lit up so bright. it would be nice if you were in a car show where the place is lit up, but no in the dark on the street.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i wouldn't think that it would be that bright... What do they even mount to? are there any special lights, or would any small neon light work (i.e. street glow 9 inch)?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Mounting

With the dakotas, is there not ample space to mount a 9 inch neon, on the incline of the sway bar, which points towards the wheel well, which will light upwards to illuminate the wheel well, and the brakes, and inner wheel, without blinding anyone who is looking from afar in the night?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was just told today by a friend that there is a bracket that you can buy that would allow for you to mount neons behind the rims. Has anyone heard of this or does anyone know where to get these?

I

·
0 Posts
The only problem might be is heat.. You might melt any plastic near your rotors..

I also suggest using LED over neons. They are smaller and can be brighter plus you can focus the light inside the wheel and no on the ground to bring attention to them..

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
[IO]ERROR said:
The only problem might be is heat.. You might melt any plastic near your rotors..

I also suggest using LED over neons. They are smaller and can be brighter plus you can focus the light inside the wheel and no on the ground to bring attention to them..
I've given up pretty much on the whole idea. too much hassle...

I

·
0 Posts
98 Black SLT said:
I've given up pretty much on the whole idea. too much hassle...
Bummer.. And I thought it was a good idea.. Hell you could feed the power for the LEDs right off of your corner parking lights.. Mounting them wouldn't take much more then some highheat appoxy to your calbers or kingpin..

I would have liked to have seen it at night on a nice set of chrome dubs..

·
Registered
243 Posts
Neons

The neons behind the rim can be done. The are just neon speaker rings for your sound systems. The brakets can be bought or made and are mounted to your caliper bolts. They do look nice at night. I go to a gathering on Saterday nights, I will try to snap a few pictures of an S10 Blazer with blue ons (if he comes out).

Later,

·
Registered
67 Posts
if you have a gap between the tire and the well take the neon and cut the metal above the wheel and place a led or such into the well it will face the rim on the out side reflecting the chrome and making it look hot. if you have a offset to tuck the rims .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts