Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I've spent all morning going threw almost all of the old threads about using 285/75/16 on pretty stock dakota. I've read the back and forth comments about YES it will fit with some trimming and NO you have to have a body lift..etc. Well I found a thread of a 03 quad dakota running 285's on stock rims with just minor trimming so I know it can be done.what I'm asking for is some pics of the trimming. I just wanna see how much I gotta cut. Right now my truck is running 265/75/16 Micky Thompson MTZ on Ultra 16x8 wheels, when i put them on I had less than a half inch clearance between tire and front bumper, but then I cranked up the T/B up around 2" and got plenty of room now. I dont not take the truck off road or mudding, only see's mud when i gotta go threw it, and do not care about rubbing on lock to lock turning. I wanna put the biggest tire possible on the truck...and some pics of the type of tire to, cause I know a A/T could fit different then a M/T, I'm planning on ordering tires next week.. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just bought some 285's. I'm gonna mount them on the stock rims tomorrow evening after work and probably do a test fit on Tuesday to see how much trimming I have to do if any. I'll try and remember to take pics if I have to trim. Oh, and my truck has the torsion bars cranked and 2 inch blocks in back (not that it matters).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just bought some 285's. I'm gonna mount them on the stock rims tomorrow evening after work and probably do a test fit on Tuesday to see how much trimming I have to do if any. I'll try and remember to take pics if I have to trim. Oh, and my truck has the torsion bars cranked and 2 inch blocks in back (not that it matters).
Alright thanks a lot!!! Are you running a body lift? What tires did you get?

·
Registered
33 Posts
285 pics

Here are some pics of the truck with the 285s on. The first pic shows where it rubbed on the driver side I had to trim the very bottom corner of the bumper and grind down the bolt near the bottom of the bumper. As for the liner, I simply drilled a hole through it and put a zip tie though to pull it forward. I couldn't tell if it rubbed the back of the liner but I assume it will once there is some wheel travel while turning, so I'm gonna pull that back a bit. Pretty much the same has to be done on the passenger side except the previous owner already trimmed the front of the liner for some reason, so I don't have to pull that forward.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
oh and what size was you running before? can you tell a difference in height or the feel of the truck? sorry for asking so many questions.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was running 265/75/16 in the summer. Right now I have 31x10.5r15 snow tires on it. It definitely feels higher than the 31's. I didn't drive it much with the 285s on since I didn't get a chance to balance them last night. I only went around the block to see where the tires rubbed before I put the 31's back on.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
was unable to run the 285's, I put on a set of 265/75/16 goodyear wrangler duratrack's and the tire hits the front bumper when you turn the wheel. And thats with a 2" T/B crank. The tires before was Mickey Thompson MTZ's in the same size and I had almost 2" of clearance between the tire and bumper. So i guess the next step is body lift.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Nice R/T rims (and truck), what size tire are you running? I just picked up some R/T rims myself and I'm looking at P265/65R17 or 265/70R17 to replace my 31/10.5R15's. The 265/65 seems a little small but I'm not sure 265/70 will fit without rubbing.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts