Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered some clear corner lights a little while back. Went to install them and the little parking lights aren't going to fit. Is the company that sent me the lights supposed to send me the new wiring for new bulbs as well? I'm gonna send them an email and see what they say. If they won't send me any is there somewhere I can pick them up? Thanks.
-Steve

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Where did you get them from? My clear corners from ProCarParts.com came with the new wiring for the amber corner bulb. Yours should too.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
mine came with the side marker lights. you can get them at autozone, but the company should supply them for you. your light has 4 sides and the clear corner has 2?

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got them from some Raceon or something like that on ebay. (yeah yeah I know, but they were cheap) My stock bulb thingy has those 2 flat things on the sides of it, directly across from eachother. The clear signal part the light goes into has 4 open slots in it. However, the stock bulb housing won't fit into the opening in the clear lens to lock down on any of the 4 slots.... Confusing I know, but it's hard to describe. You guys know what I mean? And do you guys know how much these damn wiring things are going to cost? I called up the company i ordered them from and they said they just ship em out as they get em. So I doubt they're going to help me out much.... :finger: rrr..... Thanks again for all the help guys.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you guys know where I can get the wiring for these? I've called and driven to the 4 Autozones around here, 2 pepboys and some other random car shop. Nobody has anything that works, I've bought 2 different light wiring thingys now that looked like they'd work, they didn't, I had them check their computers and nobody could find anything, found whatever looked like it would fit in the electrical isle, but nothing wound up working. Anyone have any part numbers? any other places I could look? Would Dodgo have these? and what year would I need to get that would have the 4 prong deal on em? ANY help would be wonderful! Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Woody.... did you NOT get extra bulbs and rubber gromit type things to fit INTO that x-shaped whole on the clear corners?

If not... I'd say your up a creek without a paddle. If you didn't get that, you might have to find some kind of rubber gromit that would fit into that whole... and cut it so it fits in that x-shaped whole.

Once you find that gromit... make sure it'll fit your bulb also... and all you gotta do is shove it in there.

If you DID get the extra bulbs and gromits... then you're in luck. Along with the bulbs/gromit,.. there should be ablout 5 to 6, maybe 7 inches of wire hanging from it... cut your stock wires at the stock bulbs... or a little after, and splce the two wires together, wrap with electrical tape, and call it a day!

Paul

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
YAAAABUDDY03 said:
,.. there should be ablout 5 to 6, maybe 7 inches of wire hanging from it...
Paul

They gave me like 2 feet of extra wire with my clear corners.

Woody try contacting Procarparts.com. That is where a bunch of us got our clear corner set-ups. Try mentioning this site and maybe they will hook you up. It is worth a shot. It is going to be very diffucult to find the exact bulb harness to fit those clear corners. Either that or pester that ebay company until they give up the goods.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:( That sucks! They sent me the clear lights... and that was it. I called them and they were hardly speaking english, trying to explain to me that they send out their products just how they receive them. I'm still going to nag them but in the mean time I'm going to check out that procarparts.com and other places like that. Thanks for the help guys! Let me know if you come up with any other MacGyver souloutions. :mullet:

·
Premium Member
12,185 Posts
The 97-99 Dakota/Durangos came from the factory with a 4-prong parking light socket which was made of soft rubber and is shaped like a +. Somewhere in the 99 or 00 model year Daimler-Chrysler switched to a 2-prong hard plastic socket which is shaped like a |.

The manufacturers who made their molds early in the Dakota/Durango production cycle have their socket designed with the 4-prong socket, and the newer designs have the 2-prong socket. Most of the companies worth their salt who still use the 4-prong socket will ship a pair of 4-prong sockets that you can splice into a 00-04 truck, but it looks like this company either forgot them or just plain leaves you out in the cold.

You have to basic solutions to your problem:

1. Go to a junkyard, and find a 97-99 Dakota/98-99 Durango. Find the wiring for their front corner lenses, and clip off the stock 4-prong sockets so you can splice them into your system.

2. Sell your clear corners on E-Bay to someone with a 97-99 Dakota/Durango, and buy another set which either has the proper 2-prong socket you need, or at least includes the 4-prong socket splice.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
SinCity R/T said:
The 97-99 Dakota/Durangos came from the factory with a 4-prong parking light socket which was made of soft rubber and is shaped like a +. Somewhere in the 99 or 00 model year Daimler-Chrysler switched to a 2-prong hard plastic socket which is shaped like a |.

The manufacturers who made their molds early in the Dakota/Durango production cycle have their socket designed with the 4-prong socket, and the newer designs have the 2-prong socket. Most of the companies worth their salt who still use the 4-prong socket will ship a pair of 4-prong sockets that you can splice into a 00-04 truck, but it looks like this company either forgot them or just plain leaves you out in the cold.

You have to basic solutions to your problem:

1. Go to a junkyard, and find a 97-99 Dakota/98-99 Durango. Find the wiring for their front corner lenses, and clip off the stock 4-prong sockets so you can splice them into your system.

2. Sell your clear corners on E-Bay to someone with a 97-99 Dakota/Durango, and buy another set which either has the proper 2-prong socket you need, or at least includes the 4-prong socket splice.
Good information to know... thanks Steve!

Paul

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok, something's wrong here. I have a 98 Durango and it has the 2 prong connectors on it ?!?!?!? I'll check to see if anyone wound up splicing those on there, but I don't know why anybody would?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts