Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone have any SOUND advice on throttle bodies? billet or modified?50mm or 52mm? f&b or fastman or hughes or other? any word on holleys new billet tb? any pros and cons?i.e.(fuel milage,torque curve ) thanks pete

·
Premium Member
1,841 Posts
360 xrt said:
anyone have any SOUND advice on throttle bodies? billet or modified?50mm or 52mm? f&b or fastman or hughes or other? any word on holleys new billet tb? any pros and cons?i.e.(fuel milage,torque curve ) thanks pete

Billet
52mm
F&B TB.
Pro: gain on the top end
Con: lose on the bottom end
Solution: M-1 :biggthump

I seen a little improvement in gas but with a heavy foot it's hard to tell

·
Registered
219 Posts
Adam I thought the M1 would make you lose more low end in exchange for a better top end? I'm tempted to get a TB and M1, but I plan on getting a class 3 hitch for my r/t to tow. You think doing those mods would hurt my towing even more? Planning on towing a 1986 corolla gts that will be prepared for road racing so I don't figure it weighing more than 2000 lbs give or take a few.

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
If you plan on towing with your R/T, i wouldnt reccoment getting a m-1. The main reason is that you will want your peak torque to remain at a lower rpm. If you want more performance, but dont want to lose as much torque, try looking into a modified kegger. You'll gain some top end, but wont lose as much bottom end. Then again, i think your decision should be based on how much you will be towing and how often.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I would stay away from auctions. You never know what your getting and the TB is not something that you want to screw up. Too much is not good and it will destroy your torque.

You must first think about what you’re going to do with the engine before choosing a TB. Head work a different intake, roller rockers etc. need to be considered before going off and installing a larger TB.

You can call the guys at KRC or Hughes and ask them their advice. Both do very good work and both will give you a straight answer.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i'm looking to get the largest (most cfm ) tb i can go with,thats compatible with the mods i have now without sacrificing power ,but something i don't have to upgrade down the road.mods now are mopar pcm,k-n gen2,180 t-stat ,mopar 7.5 wires,flowmaster cat-back and mopar headers this spring.some mods down the road are 1.7 rr's and maybe different intake.i'm hoping edelbrock comes out with one thats better than the m1, who knows with the new release of their heads an intake could be right around the corner.also if anybody has a hughes engines tb give me a post there an hour from my house and i'd like that convenience. thanks guys.

·
Registered
462 Posts
The 50mm is as large as you should go and what ever brand you decide to go with make sure that it is not over 700 CFM. Some 50-mm throttle bodies are 1000 CFM and that is way too much air.

You may consider installing a CD ignition like the MSD to help burn the lean mixture. Also, if your going to change out intakes this would be a good time to install a new set of injectors. Mopar and Ford Motorsports both sell drop in 24 lb/hr injectors that are good up to 450 HP.

·
Texas
159 Posts
mopar rt said:
The 50mm is as large as you should go and what ever brand you decide to go with make sure that it is not over 700 CFM. Some 50-mm throttle bodies are 1000 CFM and that is way too much air.

You may consider installing a CD ignition like the MSD to help burn the lean mixture. Also, if your going to change out intakes this would be a good time to install a new set of injectors. Mopar and Ford Motorsports both sell drop in 24 lb/hr injectors that are good up to 450 HP.
i was looking are replaceing the TB and found one here.
http://www.performanceproducts.com/...Throttle+Body&productid=100913&producttype=20
Its from BBK and its 70mm for a 4.7L. Your saying that a 50mm is as large has he should go and he has a 5.9L? So then i shouldnt get this one? Im looking at getting the HP up out of this 4.7L. If i understand you your saying if he goes to a larger one he will lose low-end? By how much would you lose on the low-end if you did that?

·
Registered
219 Posts
well ur 4.7 revs higher and makes power at higher rpms so a larger throttle body would only help not hurt. You will sacrifice some low end but it won't matter much with the 4.7 since you're revving the motor higher. The 5.9 on the other hand is more inclined for low end torque. So if u give up all the torque the motor still can't rev high enough to make high rpm power, so staying with a significantly smaller tb opening works the best. I'm sure if the 5.9 was a dohc motor that could rev to 7k or so (wow how sweet would that be?!!? :drool: ) then a large tb would do the trick nicely. For instance looking at some honda tb assemblies, i think upwards of 70 mm, maybe even 80 mm if i'm not mistaken are common, but then they can rev high into the 7k rpm range and cars like the integra type r and s2000 go into 8k-9k range.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I think someone didn't realize that the 5.2/5.9 TB is a 2-barrel design compared to the 4.7 being a single large one.

The 50mm 5.9 TB is actually 2x50mm.

Just a noob (here at least) tryin' to help.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.