Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
CAPT. MORGAN
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having a problem with my rear brakes locking up. At first they were really dirty, so i cleaned them up and they were ok for a couple weeks. Then, it started again. I replaced the shoes, and found a bad wheel cylinder. Replaced that too. Worked good for about a week and a half, and started once again. Now I have just replaced the springs, and adjusters and it is still doing it. Ok now here's the kicker, its not constant. Sometimes it doesnt do it at all. Last night it was so bad, I could hardly get out of my driveway.... Any input or info is greatly appreciated.

·
2005 IASCA WORLD CHAMPION
860 Posts
maybe crap built up in the proportioning valve up front?:huh:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Did you lubricate all the slides and pivot points? And check the adjustments for the parking brake. If shoes to close to the drum at rest the dirt build up might be enough to cause them to seize up.

·
CAPT. MORGAN
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I lubed everything, and adjusted them right. Sometimes they lock up in reverse, and other times it's going forward. I was thinking possibly the proportioning valve too, there cant be much more to look at.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I know how you feel, have been fighting same problem off n on.
Really annoying having the rear brakes lock up when you try to stop.
Mine has the Rear ABS, bout ready to remove it also.

·
CAPT. MORGAN
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I havent driven it in the last couple days because it wont move to back it out of the driveway. Now that the snow is gone, im going to go back out and look at it again. Wish I didnt owe on it, or it would be GONE!!! lol

·
5 door whore #197
21 Posts
i just had the same prob. i replaced everything that icould think of,prop valve, all of the hardware, both wheel cyl,even the line. it ended up being the t that sits on yr axle. there is about a foot of rubber hose that connects the t to the main line. the inner of the rubber hose was collapsed or clogged. the thing is like 15 bucks at az.

·
Computer Guru
9 Posts
I have had that problem- but only on the first stop in the morning on those cool mornings. They would grab badly-- I can handle it, but my wife nearly gets whiplash when it happens.. then she chews my butt some.
In this below zero weather I have had no problems. Fall and Spring are when it happens to me.

·
CAPT. MORGAN
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it was the t and rubber hose thanks mossy

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
would that t and rubber hose cause an occasional popping when turning after being stopped? i get that when i drive interstate alot, get off and go to turn and i get this semi shuddering and popping sound. but they dont lock up any.

·
5 door whore #197
21 Posts
i dont think so,it just causes the brakes to drag because it wont let the fluid return to the resevoir. you said it pops when you turn? so is it in the front or the rear? sounds like a ball joint kinda.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
its def the rear and its intermittent. now and then kinda thing. i adjusted my brakes down this weekend when i put new bearings on my diff housing and pinion shaft. they were actually dragging on the brake drums putting them on. might have been part of my problem.

·
Red Rango
974 Posts
maybe xfer case stuck in 4 lo

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
dont think its the transfer case in 4low, seems to do it in 2wd, allthough a few wks ago when i changed fluid in the xfer case, it was solid black, like midnight black. it was absolutely disgusting.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts