Dakota Durango Forum banner

Need Some 4.7L Intake Info Please!!

4K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  gocartone 
G
#1 ·
Ok you 4.7 guys, what is the difference between the '00 intake and the '01-'02 intakes, if there is any at all? Was there any particular reason the '00 had a 65mm TB and the '01-'02 had a 68mm TB? TIA!!!

#6 ·
that is the "word" but that was because the 02 HO and the reg 4.7 were separate...but in 03 they shared which was "supposedly" an improved 02 HO intake.

#5 ·
i cant remember for certain, but i think all the TB's had the 68mm behind the throttle blade and the the one labeled 65mm were actually 62mm and the 68mm were actually 65mm before the blade...dont really think there was a reason unless it was just an update to the TB...now i know the 65mm TB's have a smaller IAC than the 68mm....but i had no problems installing a 65mm TB to my 03 intake other than one screw was shorter.

G
#7 ·
So basically, the internal design of the intakes are the same except for the HO's, the TB's bolt the same but the '00 has a 65mm TB and the '01-'02 has a 68mm TB.

Chrysler, go figure!!:jester:

G
#10 ·
From what I've gathered, the TBS bolt up the same, the only difference being the size of the opening of the TB. The intake manifolds are the differences. They have different shaped, and length runners to allow more/better flow in the years.

It is generally regarded that the 02 HO is the best, followed by the 02-04 intake manifolds, and lastly the 00-01 intake manifolds being the worst. Apparently, you lose some low end with the 02 HO manifolds though, not sure on that one though.
So I'm assuming the runners are SHORTER on the '00 intake and LONGER on the '01-'02 intake, or do I have it backwards? :huh:

#9 · (Edited)
From what I've gathered, the TBS bolt up the same, the only difference being the size of the opening of the TB. The intake manifolds are the differences. They have different shaped, and length runners to allow more/better flow in the years.

It is generally regarded that the 02 HO is the best, followed by the 02-04 intake manifolds, and lastly the 00-01 intake manifolds being the worst. Apparently, you lose some low end with the 02 HO manifolds though, not sure on that one though.

***EDIT: With Air Ram telling us that the new 08 intake is better than all other factory intakes for the 4.7.

#11 ·
The information I just spouted to you was obtained from one of Air Ram's posts. Try searching for his posts, and sifting through the relevancy of topics. His website may offer some info up for you as well.

#12 ·
As quoted from Air Ram's website:

This is the 2003-2007 factory replacement 4.7L intake manifold. This is considered to be an improvment over the 199-2002 intake manifold. This intake teamed up with a set of H/O cams would make some impressive gains on a 1999-2002 4.7L engine.

Details:
Starting with model year 2003 production, a new manifold was introduced and used for both the 4.7 and the 4.7 HO engines and us used on all 4.7L engines from 2003-2007. This intake has been superseeded several times but they all end up being the intake we offer here.

Quite a few Dodge truck owners have successfully installed the manifold and cams into their standard 4.7 engines without any major problems. Most have reported horsepower gains from 5 percent to 15 percent, varying at different RPM's.

The original 4.7L's had 510mm intake runners. The HO intake when it cam out had 415mm intake runners. When the intakes were made common in 2003-2004 all 4.7L's got the 415mm HO intake runner lengths.

The 2008 4.7L intake has 350mm long intake runners and it will make the most HP of any 4.7L intake manifold. The 2008 4.7L cams are also good for over 305 SAE corrected flywheel HP.

The original HO lost core design flows more air and makes more power than the later common shell mold design, even though they both have 415mm intake runner lengths.

Original 4.7L SO intake has 510mm (20.0787 inches) intake runners and is a lost core design.

Original 4.7L HO intake has 415mm (16.3386 inches) intake runners and is a lost core design.

Common 4.7L SO/HO intake has 415mm (16.3386 inches) intake runners and is a shell mold design.

2008 4.7L intake has 350mm (13.7795 inches) intake runners and I'm unsure of the exact design.

The shorter the intake runners the stronger the top end HP. The HO intake manifold with it's 415mm long runners falls on it's face above 5200 RPM.

The 2008 4.7L intake manifold with it's 350mm long runners will pull strong to 5600-5800 RPM (not exactly sure of the final rev limiter.)

G
#17 ·
Exactly what Ias wanting to see!! + rep to ya!!! :mullet:
Heres a page with some photos of a 00 and a 03 side by side....INTAKES.
Thanks for the link! You can actually see the difference in the length of the runners.

the 08 intake is the shortest (best) and the 00-02 non HO has the longest (worst)
The '99-'02 intakes, because of the longer runners, realitically should show more bottom end torque than any of the 3 designs because of the longer runners. The '03-'07 should have less bottom end torque but more top end because of the shorter runners and then the '08 should have even less bottom end torque and even more top end.

Very interesting!! Thanks for the info guys!! :mullet:

#18 ·
heres a stupid question. ive got a 00 4.7 rango 4x4. had to swap an 04 engine into it since i couldnt find a 00. still have the 04 intake manny layin around.. i know its worth it to put the 04 intake on since it performs better. what about the sensor on the driver side of the 00 intake that sticks straight up? the 04 intake has a plug sticking out of the side of the intake that says 'do not remove'.. im guessing the 04 didnt have that sensor, can i use that hole for the sensor in my truck? does the stock 00' tb and everything else just bolt right on the 04?

#21 ·
Then again, if you don't want that 2004 manifold I'll take it off your hands...

#24 ·
^I know but how did they test it? It seems getting a much better reading would help out in performance and economy, I know faking it wouldn't help but having it read 60 when the real air temp is 30 seems like it would be hurting you. Why else would Dodge have moved it in the 03+ 4.7's?

#26 ·
That would change things if it was only for start up, I thought it was used at all times. It's hard for me to believe it doesn't change anything from 100 to 0 though, but anything it's doing might have already been adjusted with the superchips.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.